• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Delta Wing Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Its finally coming!!!! My Steen Wing Kit is ready. I guess it will take a few weeks to get here (Sydney) so I thought I would take the time to get a build log ready.

Background:
I started building with the upper wing centre section of the Delta variant - the three piece upper wing. I have completed as far as I will go on the centre section until I can mount it and place the sway and stagger wires correctly and at that point will make the holes in the leading edge and the outside rear ribs.

I have completed the centre section fuel tank and it is now ready for welding. Need to get someone to do that. I dont feel like blowing a hole in the aluminium which I have not welded before.

The wing kit is 9 months later than I was told it would be when I ordered so over the last few months I have been scrounging things to do, given I don't have a wing kit and I intend to buy a fuse.

I won't waste your time with too many picks of the lower wings which I will start with and will focus on the upper wings when I get to them.

I did start on the upper wing butt ribs which are different to the rest as they have a integral compression rib in them.

The pic below shows the (from bottom to top)
1. The second butt rib being constructed. What I did was use the upper wing rib jig but has to remove some of the pins as the spar opening is 1 and 1/4" in this rib compared to the others at 1" due Ply doubler (which is only 1/8" thick on the top wing). Note in this picture the pieces are just laid on not glued and the middle 1" thick compression rib is not inserted. It just runs from front spar to rear spar in the middle of the rib.
2. First complete Butt Rib
3. Normal Rib for upper wing.

IMG_1072.jpg

Latest posts

Back