• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Demand for low time clean Pitts s2bs

akmetal

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the demand is for a Pitts s2b (320 on engine since major over haul from lycombing and 1900 air frame) I am starting to loose the desire to fly and dealing with hangar issues and all the rest is outweighing the enjoyment I get from flying. I am going to give it the winter to figure it out, if I decide to list I am thinking 90k.

acropilotbret

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Un-wrecked S-2B seem to not hit the market very often and in my experience change hands without hitting the market. My thoughts are demand is high. That's a good price in my mind.

Defenseman1

Registered Users
Reaction score
I sold my B two years ago for 65k. 1000 TT. 600 SMOH. 600 MT prop. Damage history taxi into power cart at 400TT. No crank AD issues. 1992 model with original finish. Some fading of paint on top wing, but rest good. All new hoses and motor mounts. It took two months to sell.

For what it's worth.

Eric_Anderson

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My friend bought a very nice B for 60K. Recent top overhaul but bottom was high time. To me, 90K seems fair for a really nice example with recent prop and engine with very good cover and paint. But that's me, a fantasy buyer. I have no experience buying, flying or appraising these things.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think demand high for clean relative low time example since it seems to be the norm for transition/instruction. If one is buying a fist time Pitts you almost MUST obtain S2, probably B dual.....

(I too am fantasy buyer for sure):)

Jack

Flybipe

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The S-2B market has been pretty stable for awhile now with most listed in the $80-$100K range.

Less $$$ than that usually means higher time, run-out engine, 2-bladed Hartzell, mid-80's model, needs fabric, rough condition, damage history or some combination of the above.

More $$$ than that usually means late model, low time, MT or Hartzell Claw, no damage, new engine, new fabric, exceptional condition or some combination of the above.

The price you get and the time it takes to sell can be highly dependent on what other S-2B's are available on the market at the time you list it. There's almost always someone looking for one, and the good ones go quick - not unusual to see ads taken down after a week. The not-so-good ones do sell, but sell faster when they are the only ones on the market.

Last edited: