• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Desiccant dryer for Lycoming

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelvin Rempel

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading several posts on Vans Airforce regarding desiccant dryers I finally made my own this summer. Very simple to do, took about 15 minutes to make.

Costs about $50. Uses an aquarium pump to pump the dry air through the case, a small fuel filter for a lawn mower, dollar store sealed container to hold the desiccant beads and a few feet of aquarium hose. I had my son 3D print a cap for my oil dipstick that has a hole in the center that fits the aquarium hose. The aquarium pump output end goes into the container of desiccant, then through a second tube in the top of the container, through the fuel filter, into the dipstick then another fitting attaches to the breather port and gets sucked back into the aquarium pump. It's a closed loop system. The aquarium air intake on the bottom of the unit has been sealed off with silicone so it's not sucking fresh air from the hanger.
IMG_9441.jpg
IMG_9442.jpg
IMG_9443.jpg
IMG_9444.jpg

The desiccant lasts for about 3-4 weeks in my case before needing to be dried out. I used the Orange beads vs the Blue ones. Apparently the blue beads are toxic. I have the desiccant spark plugs in as well to keep the cylinders dry. I'm hoping this will keep any moisture out of the case and have a nice clean cam for years to come.

ACS sells a desiccant dryer for about $300 USD, this was a much cheaper option and does the same job.

Latest posts

Back