Did Model Airplanes Lead You To Ther Real thing?

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Dave Baxter, Feb 6, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Feb 11, 2018 #61

kjkimball

kjkimball

kjkimball

Been there...Done that... Lifetime Supporter

My Dad was into RC models in the 60's during the reed days and transition into proportional control. As a kid, I grew up around full scale airplanes and working on them. I was riveting spars of a midget mustang as 6 years of age. Then working a a stearman restoration with the family starting at 7. Around 1972, I got an RC model kit for christmas. A Live Wire Champ, OS 25 and a used Royal AM 6 channel radio setup. I built the model and then learned to fly it. I still have it. I didn't return to RC until the late 80s once in Florida and that has been hit or miss really and for the most part, been related to my licensing of several designs to some RC companies. My son flies RC but has been flying the stearman(same one I worked on at 7 years of age that we still have). I have several RC models but like Smizo, most are hanging on my office wall as trophies. Beast, Viking, Inverza, etc.

IMG_7104.jpg

2. Feb 11, 2018 #62

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Larry my youngest grand son is in his last yr of college and as well as his older brother and my grand daughter and other grand son still have them all! Dave

3. Feb 11, 2018 #63

airplanegeek

airplanegeek

airplanegeek

Supporting Member Supporting Member

4. Feb 11, 2018 #64

airplanegeek

airplanegeek

airplanegeek

Supporting Member Supporting Member

By high school cars were dominating my free time, but I still kept projects rolling all through college. Here is a shot of a Goldberg model Electra that I scratch built as a freshman in high school, from plans. I did it for the challenge and I liked doing things on the cheap. Most f my planes I sold to friends. The Chipmunk I sold to a guy in A&P school and he never did pay me for it. Still a little bitter over that.

View attachment IMG_0335.jpg

5. Feb 12, 2018 #65

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

I still have a Electra and an Olympic 99, my first glider. The 99 was the most relaxing plane to fly I've ever owned.

airplanegeek likes this.
  6. Sep 11, 2018 #66

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Double Post: We son Dan and I attended the WAAAM Antique Museum and fly-in at Hood river Oregon this last weekend well over 300 airplanes attended, and I will be posting pictures of that event soon. But when there I asked Donna one of the Museum principles about donating one of only a few Noblers that George Aldrich built he also was credited as the father of control line stunt, I acquired the remains at VSC in Tucson some yrs ago, one that he wrecked at the first VSC at Whittier Narrows back in the 70s, and was auctioned off in a big plastic bag after his death, along with many other of his modeling items.

See Post #43

The museum has a small collection of model airplanes on display, and I think they might take mine? The original also wrecked was rebuilt by Charlie Bruce a dear friend of Georges and is in the AMA Museum in Muncie Indiana. I will have to build a display case with wheels, but it would be a fitting place for it to reside. Dave

7. Sep 12, 2018 #67

Dana

Dana

Dana

I had a Junior Nobler with a Fox .15, it was one of my favorites. Used a U-Reely until I realized that the lighter EZ-Just handle gave a much better feel.

This Sterling Fledgling was my first R/C, would have been around 1973 when I was 14. Had an O.S. Max .35 and a Kraft Sport Series radio. Silkspun Coverite and orange HobbyPoxy. Got into a few big arguments about how to build it with my Dad, who had built quite a few R/C's by then. We flew at the R/C/R/C field in Orangeburg, NY.
    C5-D20008.jpg

The plane finally met its end when I put it on floats for our club's annual seaplane contest and water got into the radio. I still have a scrap of the orange fabric from the wing with the "Fledgling" decal.

8. Sep 12, 2018 #68

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

I think I have some fledgling plans somewhere.

9. Sep 12, 2018 #69

Dennis Flamini

Dennis Flamini

Dennis Flamini

You guys are kinda late to the party! 1957 at 14 years old.
    Dennis 1957.jpg

raymoeller and airplanegeek like this.
  10. Sep 12, 2018 #70

Neil

Neil

Neil

1955-6. The little guy is me with my first biplane. Also an ignition engine from the 40s. It uses points, a coil and a battery. Also a genuine Champion spark plug for a model engine. 20110612_180721_First_Biplane.jpg 20120108_143054_IMG_6188.JPG 20120108_143135_IMG_6189.JPG

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  11. Sep 12, 2018 #71

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

I built an UC autogyro from plans published in Popular Science about the mid sixties, I never did get it to fly.

12. Sep 13, 2018 #72

raymoeller

raymoeller

raymoeller

I'd have to say "yes". This would be 1980 at the Scottsdale Community College flying field, Scottsdale, AZ. And I have to thank my neighbor at the time, Jim Whitney, who helped mentor me into actually learning to fly by recommending the Carl Goldberg Falcon 56 MKII. Jim was also into helicopters at the time, and gave me my first summer job cleaning machine tools when they were uncrated, and with the money I promptly turned around and bought a couple of Schluter Heli-Babys from him and got bit hard by the RC helicopter bug. I think my other neighbors quickly tired of me constantly hovering those things on the cul de sac we lived on. I ended up trading the Falcon 56 and a little cash for a Kavan Jet Ranger.

While I didn't much like working with the solvent that I cleaned the machines with, the office was right across the street from Phoenix Sky Harbor, and I'd open the loading dock door and watch the airplanes come and go all day. I used to drop what I was doing whenever the Air Force tankers were taking off.. my boss completely understood.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      79.9 KB
      Views:
  13. Sep 13, 2018 #73

FireboltBob

FireboltBob

FireboltBob

Registered Users

I have come "Full Circle".
    I started out with Control Line model airplanes. Then Radio Controlled airplanes.
    The wonderful guy (Joe Hass) that owned Wayne Hobby Shop in Wayne, Michigan encouraged me to fly "Full Scale" airplanes.
    I went on to fly lots of Boeings all over the globe. B-727, B-737, B-747-400, B-757/767.
    The whole time I have been involved with Model Aviation, AND General Aviation.
    I am a Lifetime EAA, and AMA member.
    Now nearing retirement, I am still involved with Model airplanes.

14. Sep 13, 2018 #74

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

We were on the poorer side of the tracks, but got hand-me-down 049 U-control planes from my cousins that we kept band-aided together. My own building was not terribly good, but I enjoyed building little tissue and balsa rubber-band powered birds nontheless... it all certainly lit the fire, that is for sure. The great-grandson has a hand-me-down model that he comes out when I'm working on "the project" and zooms his plane around the shop...

15. Sep 13, 2018 #75

Registered Users

I started flying RC in the 1990s. I always wanted to build a model of a Luscombe since my dad had one in the 1960s. He gave up flying when he started his family. I found a guy out of RCM magazine close to home who produced a kit. Long story short, after showing him a pic of dads old airplane he recognized the tail number and declared he owned dads old plane and made the kit from it. Years later he sold us back the Luscombe and I received my pilot's license in it, and dad was recertified also. I've been flying it for 21 years now, with dad, who's 84 now! Along with my 5 year old son.

Now building a Skybolt.

Neil and raymoeller like this.
  16. Sep 14, 2018 #76

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Kool story!

33K likes this.
  17. Sep 19, 2018 at 12:20 PM #77

Mael

Mael

Mael

I started flying RC planes at age 12. I built up to 10 different models from trainer to aerobatics airplanes and also did gliders that I flew on the cliff above the water. I later started flying full scale airplanes ans I am now F/O flying the Dreamliner. I own a Pitts S2A. I stoped model flying but I promise myself to do it again with my son when he will be old enough.

33K likes this.