• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Does anyone have any O-200 O-300 chrome or standard cylinders available?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

an8pilot

Mike
Reaction score
Does anyone have any O-200 O-300 chrome or standard cylinders available?

I'm back home for a month and a half and have disassembled my O-300-A engine on my 1956 172 because found the beginnings of a bad cam lobe.

So I had to take the engine down.
With my dial bore gage (which took 6 hours to take apart clean lube and make it work again after I found a new one of the same caliber / model was 500 used on ebay) I found that I have one 1 ea standard cylinder ans it is only standard because of chrome. 4.062 - 4.064 And would require cast iron rings.

There is one steel which was a newly overhauled one which was steel but
it was 4.069 which requires plus + .005 chrome rings. And I found the exhaust valve... (newly overhauled) with a lot of slop in the guide.

There are 3ea steel at 4.078 which is plus + .015

And the last steel one is at service limit of 4.084.

But........... it was running well.

The only reason I took it down enough to see the cam lobe was:

Changing to a key start instead of pull/electric spontaneous destrucatble starter that scared me. Which requires cutting off the original starter gear guide shaft. To make it easy I took the engine pont bolts out to move the engine forward. So I might as well replace the rubber mount bushings... So why not remove the engine mount and glass blast it and check for cracks and repaint. And why not clean up and paint the firewall. And then why not pull off number 3 jug and look inside my new to me engine. Why not pull off jug 5 as well and hget an even better look.

Then "Oh my whats that" The severity as affected by a service bulletin would let me continue 100 hours at a time. But after a while of thinking.... that's not me.

So.... anyone got some used O-200 or O-300 cylinders that are chrome that they took off for no reason other than those $780 dollar Titan cylinders sans $50 piston pins and rocker arm $22 overhaul. = $852 a set sans shipping, Bearings, ndt polish and cad std crank, overhaul rods, and get new rod bolts and nuts, already bought overhauled lifters, inspecting my own plungers... and need to get a seal kit and rings, and find an overhauled cam or a repairable one.

So if I could find some chrome standard bore cylinders that would be good, and some standard new pistons, I could get at least ONE airplane flying. It's easy to take cylinders off once in a while. Not so easy to take down the whole mashugana or enchalata'. Don't even know how to spell those.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back