• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Drag/Antidrag wires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

footloose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm installing new drag/antidrag wires in my Smith wings . My existing wires are what appears to be 4130 (painted) .132 in size with 6-40 thread (mostly) . There are a few of them that have an upset on one end with 10-32 rolled thread . My guess is that the builder aquired some of these wires that were longer and clipped one end to thread (cut threads) at 6-40 .He actually did a nice job of it and it looks like it worked but I cannot reinstall like that . The .132 wires with 6-40 threads , in my opinion are a bit on the frail side so my intention is to replace all wires , upper and lower wings , with .157 wires with 8-40 threads . I have the tooling to fab the new wires at that size and thread , with cut threads . My wires are all the Cub/Taylor style with spoke type nipple . I guess what I'm needing opinions on is wire type and grade . I'd like to go with stainless but not sure of which grade . I have 3/16 stainless but it appears to be too bulky and heavy for my application and I'm not sure if it's 304 or 316 grade . Let me know what ya think . Thanx Dennis

Attachments

• Photo1929.jpg
    Photo1929.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back