• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

DryBot or Black Max Engine Dehydrator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevgofly

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone using either of these? I recently purchased a Black Max for our C150, now have a new Eagle and want to preserve it. My job requires me to be away for 10-week blocks of time, living in the beautiful Pacific NorthWET, I want to protect it as well.

Black Max uses a refrigeration process to dry the air, DryBot uses a desiccant process that is self-drying, so both should be fairly autonomous, anyone know of advantage of one over the other?

Second, Drybot recommends plugging into the oil fill, Black Max recommends plugging into the breather tube. Since using an inverted oil system on the Eagle, I can see some advantages of getting dry air into the breather tube as quickly as possible to prevent corrosion from developing in the ball valves, but, the most important (expensive) parts of the engine, cam/crank would likely be better protected by going into the oil fill. Maybe I'm over thinking all of this, and admittedly don't know the internal architecture of the oil galleries. Is there a better/best way of doing this?

How do I get the most effective protection? Any other suggestions for corrosion protection? Should I store it with a fresh oil change or is there some advantage to heat cycling (flying) after fresh oil? I assume Cam Guard is an obvious choice.
Thanks in advance for any insight!
Kev

Latest posts

Back