• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Dynon avionics Electronic Panels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have some pretty cool stuff.

I used to have a furniture business in Woodinville. The were in a warehouse a few doors down from me.
I forget his name, but when they developed they're first model, he'd come over with it and we'd hand fly it around the ware house.
Good group and some really good products. I'm glad they've done well.

We've installed several and I've flow one or two. It is a good way to get a lot of stuff in a small panel and save a bunch of weight. There is so much to look at on the screen though, it tends to take your attention off the world around you. What I really don't like is if the screen fails you got nothing.

I guess I'm old or something because I still look outside to see where I am and prefer wiggly needles on round gauges to tell me how the engine is doing.

In fairness I should say that once set up they work well and failure rates are very low.

Last edited:
I guess I'm old or something because I still look outside to see where I am and prefer wiggly needles on round gauges to tell me how the engine is doing.

I just read an article in a mag, think it was the recent AOPA mag, about this.
They described the two types of pilots.

1) Us, fly by the senses
2) Others, fly by the gauges.

They went into some detail about it. Seems odd to me that someone would need the ball to know if they're in trim or not.

I'm sure we've all met or know other pilots that look at you like your nuts because you fly upside down.

While I like the new tech, I'll take steam gauges...thank you very much.

I went to a steam gauge King Air after 5000+ hours in an Airbus and just don't care either way except...... Light wt, compact everything you need in an easy to install package. If I built my present dream it would have one glass all in one gauge on the left and an iPad mini on the right. No back up steam gauge. If one of them fails it's no big deal. Airspeed and alt in the multi gauge, ground speed and alt on the iPad. If you look at the wind sock ground speed is close enough. I would incorporate some audio warnings (oil pressure, temp. and my wife's voice occasionally saying "Don't do anything Stupid" ;)) which is easy with the Dynon stuff.

If money was an object (isn't it always?) I might have a belight panel http://www.beliteaircraft.com and the iPad or the Nexus 7 gadget that Brett reviewed.

Last edited:
They described the two types of pilots.

1) Us, fly by the senses
2) Others, fly by the gauges.

Of course, such a philosophy can also be taken to ridiculous extremes. Like when my wife and I were at Sun N Fun last year and overheard two guys regaling an attentive audience with statements like "instrument pilots are such whimps - if you can't tell whether you're upside down in IMC by feel, you're not a very good pilot".

To which she whispered in my ear "are these guys full of sh**?", and I replied in the affirmative.

"To which she whispered in my ear "are these guys full of sh**?", and I replied in the affirmative.
user_offline.gif
"

Agreed. I'm thinking strictly day, vfr, acro plane here. For IFR I want 2 of everything.

Latest posts

Back