• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

EAA biplane for sale

wapati-bull

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I hate to I have decided to sell my EAA biplane
because of my on going struggle over my medical with the FAA and the fact that I am 75. It’s well built with good Superflight covering and paint, new tires and a low time 0-290 D2 that runs good and starts easy. I would like to see it flying rather than parted out for the engine. Would be an excellent first time biplane. I am asking $9,000- obo. I can text or email pictures or answer any questions any one would have if you call.
Dave Cummings 920-988-8870
Or [email protected]

Tx_swordguy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your having medical issues. Can you just not renew your medical and fly under sport pilot? The EAA should fall into that category .

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
This is one of the main reasons I went to basic med, I think I could have passed a third class medical last time, but if you fail or have issues, most unless well to do and can afford all of the medical tests ordered by the FAA your flying days are over. I just passed my second basic med and am 79, soon to be 80 in several months, and am well passed my due date. I know several guy that are struggling with the FAA over their third class medical, and one has to wait almost a yr so they can deem him fit to fly..... Dave

footloose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep it Light Sport , all the way . If memory serves me , The EAA Bipe is compliant , as well as the AcroSport . I'm working to keep that very clear on the Smith . No way , will I apply for any version of a medical . I've had issues in the far past and all is well but the Feds might not see it that way . Especially one that might have had his rump in the ringer at the breakfast table . Don't need a years wait for an answer on anything . That causes mental issues and there again failure to comply .

wapati-bull

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep it Light Sport , all the way . If memory serves me , The EAA Bipe is compliant , as well as the AcroSport . I'm working to keep that very clear on the Smith . No way , will I apply for any version of a medical . I've had issues in the far past and all is well but the Feds might not see it that way . Especially one that might have had his rump in the ringer at the breakfast table . Don't need a years wait for an answer on anything . That causes mental issues and there again failure to comply .
Guys , I appreciate the input but,
in there is catch the 22, once one has an issue with your 3rd class, you can’t fly under light sport or go to basic med unless you can resolve the problem and again be issued a regular 3rd class certificate. I agree, I wish I never would have taken the physical, the irony is that I still hold a spotless valid CDL with ABCD rating. My brother thinks that they are just trying to get as many older pilots out of the air as they can. So I think that I only the choice is part 103 or give up completely, Dave

TFF1

Reaction score
Is it so bad, you can’t get it back? Cost prohibitive? You only have to get it back once and then go basic or claim LSA.

asport22

Reaction score
Is there any connection between a medical and light sport? I know you can't do basic med unless you have had a class 3 in the last 10 years and have not been denied, but I didn't think those applied to Light Sport - thought that only required that you have a driver's license. Just in case, I'm not going to the AME anytime soon. I am going to talk to the FAA medical folks at Oshkosh, though. They were very helpful answering questions for my daughter a couple years ago.

Just in case, I'm also going to be looking for light sport aircraft that can fly IAC Primary and Sportsman categories. A Jodel won the WAC back in the '60s, but I'm leery of trying it in a 40-year old one that isn't exactly built per plans.

Warren

TFF1

Reaction score
If you have never had a medical, LSA is drivers license. If you have not been denied, and have a pilots license, you are valid LSA. If you were denied a medical, you have to clear a class 3.

wapati-bull

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have never had a medical, LSA is drivers license. If you have not been denied, and have a pilots license, you are valid LSA. If you were denied a medical, you have to clear a class 3.
You are right that’s the situation

footloose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate that for ya bull . Seems like the only catch is already haggling with he Feds over your third class med . When the EAA and AOPA went through all that crap the last round with the FAA , I felt totally let down . All they seemed to accomplish was an easier way for third class approved pilots to get further certified at a lower cost . I started flying in 1976 and just loafed around flying everything I had the chance to fly but was running out of time on beating the time limit on my written so on the day before it was to expire , I took my check ride and was blessed with my license to learn . I flew for a few years then life in general and a divorce put flying on a different course . 16 years ago I experienced a Cardio issue that was repaired with no problems since . Cardio is not a word that fairs well with the Fed's at all . I'm from Okla. and talked with Dr. Hastings (article in Sport Aviation this month) on several occasions and never got that warm and fuzzy feeling about approaching the FAA to reinstate . The EAA/AOPA didn't even get weight limits raised on the lower end as in Cessna , Piper ect. that would allow The 120 , 140 , 150 , Cherokee and planes of that type to be operated as Light Sport . At that point it was time to only concentrate on light sport for me and hope that is not taken away . I think that a good deal of us that are approaching our age group need to keep your situation in the back of our minds as it is a reality that's the Governing Group can taketh away . Again I hate it for you .

microautomata

Reaction score
Hey Dave,

I'm very sorry for your situation.

I've been looking for my first plane for a while and would be very interested in finding out if your EAA biplane and I are a good fit. I'm coming up on two years since receiving my ppl, logged 190 hours, and recently obtained my tailwheel endorsement. I fly out of Moontown 3M5, a small and personable grass airport in north Alabama where I am currently president of EAA Chapter 190. Your EAA biplane would be very at home and well appreciated at Moontown. I've emailed you at [email protected] for pictures and more info.

Regards,

Joe Olson

Reaction score
Seems like the medical side of the FAA has ramped up their "medical denied" game. You can spend a fortune trying to get a third class after being denied and still come up short. When I retired from flying 875,000 pound tri-pacers I let my medical expire since I'm just a Champ jockey now. I have several friends in my age bracket that got denied instead of doing what I did and one spent a fortune trying to get a third class back so he could go the "convenient" basic med which to me isn't worth it. I also have a younger friend (36) that was denied for being honest about a DUI on his med. application when he was 22. Even after recent volunteer beer school and counseling he was denied because the alcohol level exceeded the FAA's limit for such an infraction. I saw the letter myself, told he has to wait ten years. I recommend staying away from these asphalt jungles called airports, find a nice grass strip in the country and fly anyway. Won't be long that the current admin. in D.C. will find a way to tax you rich airplane people and make your life even more miserable. K.T. rant for the day.

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
in 22 years of flying, ive never been ramp checked, or asked to see my license or medical. until i started flying iac contests. i know what i would do and it wouldn't involve selling the plane, unless the medical issue is something you feel deems you unsafe to fly.............

wapati-bull

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate that for ya bull . Seems like the only catch is already haggling with he Feds over your third class med . When the EAA and AOPA went through all that crap the last round with the FAA , I felt totally let down . All they seemed to accomplish was an easier way for third class approved pilots to get further certified I at a lower cost . I started flying in 1976 and just loafed around flying everything I had the chance to fly but was running out of time on beating the time limit on my written so on the day before it was to expire , I took my check ride and was blessed with my license to learn . I flew for a few years then life in general and a divorce put flying on a different course . 16 years ago I experienced a Cardio issue that was repaired with no problems since . Cardio is not a word that fairs well with the Fed's at all . I'm from Okla. and talked with Dr. Hastings (article in Sport Aviation this month) on several occasions and never got that warm and fuzzy feeling about approaching the FAA to reinstate . The EAA/AOPA didn't even get weight limits raised on the lower end as in Cessna , Piper ect. that would allow The 120 , 140 , 150 , Cherokee and planes of that type to be operated as Light Sport . At that point it was time to only concentrate on light sport for me and hope that is not taken away . I think that a good deal of us that are approaching our age group need to keep your situation in the back of our minds as it is a reality that's the Governing Group can taketh away . Again I hate it for you .
Yes Footloose, that’s the situation we are in once one gets on their hamster wheel it’s hard to get off. I have seen some with cardio issues regain their certificate and others could not with no common reasoning. Sure hope that you can, Dave

wapati-bull

Supporting Member
Reaction score
in 22 years of flying, ive never been ramp checked, or asked to see my license or medical. until i started flying iac contests. i know what i would do and it wouldn't involve selling the plane, unless the medical issue is something you feel deems you unsafe to fly.............
Well I had thought of that but then my insurance is voided

wapati-bull

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Dave,

I'm very sorry for your situation.

I've been looking for my first plane for a while and would be very interested in finding out if your EAA biplane and I are a good fit. I'm coming up on two years since receiving my ppl, logged 190 hours, and recently obtained my tailwheel endorsement. I fly out of Moontown 3M5, a small and personable grass airport in north Alabama where I am currently president of EAA Chapter 190. Your EAA biplane would be very at home and well appreciated at Moontown. I've emailed you at [email protected] for pictures and more info.

Regards,

Joe Olson
Joe, I will email you this afternoon, Dave

footloose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Insurance , Catch 23 , and don't think they don't know that .

Latest posts