• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

EAA Biplane Project

ironman43

Reaction score
I have an EAA biplane project for sale. This is more of a restoration than new build as it was once flying. The engine and airframe have 360 hours on them. I have a price of $5700 for both and will separate the engine from the airframe if the airframe sells first. Will not separate the engine alone first. The engine was built up using a new crankshaft and many new parts. If you're interested, I have photos available to send.

I also have a two engine airplane for sale as well which is a classic 1957 Beech Travelair. This airplane won't go through another annual for me which is due next September. This means around next summer, if I don't sell the plane, there will be low time O-360-A1A's on the market.

Mark

Edited by: ironman43

ironman43

Reaction score
well, yes the project is still available. I have been making progress on it but would still sell it to the right person.

capnbill767

Reaction score
I am retired in fla (ex airline) came from humble beginnings, CFII etc, would love to buy this project, does it have all the peices engine etc??? call bill 321-223-5834 will be up until 0100 east coast, any chance of email pictures??? thanks bill brennan

ironman43

Reaction score
Hi Bill
I sent an email with photos. The project is complete minus covering. The engine is an O-290 D2 and looks to be in very good condition. 400 hours ish on it and I opened it up (removed cylinder) to see if there is any corrosion, none. There are instruments, etc for it. I work on it regularly making progress and will finish if it doesn't sell. After it is finished, I will likely continue to be open to sell it as well. in my efforts it is in the turn around stage where it is no longer being taken apart and evaluated and is now being put back together. the photos I sent are from when it arrived prior to being worked. I am an engineer for Learjet and an A&P so my work is of good quality. Let me know if I can do more for you.
Mark

ironman43

Reaction score

this is from when the airplane first arrived. I have removed the heavy steel stringers and addressed some corrosion I found in the tail. The engine is removed and I opened up one cylinder to see if there was any corrosion and there is none.Edited by: ironman43

ironman43

Reaction score

Okay, notice that these wings are being propped up by the Acroduster Too fuselage. This is the thing that I would like to change. Until the EAA biplane is out of my hangar, the Acroduster won't get worked on. I got the biplane to use in my backyard but it is taking more effort than I would like. Additionally, I am picking up a Citabria project as well in a partial trade for my Beech Travel Air that doesn't fit in my hangar.

ironman43

Reaction score
Well, so far no takers on the project. I am going to separate the airframe from the engine and offer it up. I'd like to get $2,00 but I'll entertain offers. If no one here is interested, I'll post it up on ebay. I may decide to sell the engine later separately. Or you could make me an offer.
Mark

gedson

Reaction score
Mark, I see you have the wings opened. Could you takea photo of the aileron bell cranks and post. There had been a change to the design in the early 70's. Addresses the +- throws of units. I remade allthese units to the 70's suggested style on my unit.Just currious.
Thanks

ironman43

Reaction score

Well, so far no takers on the project. I am going to separate the airframe from the engine and offer it up. I'd like to get $2,000 but I'll entertain offers. If no one here is interested, I'll post it up on ebay. I may decide to sell the engine later separately. Or you could make me an offer.
Mark

Edited by: ironman43

ironman43

Reaction score
Ok Brad
You have it for $200 plus 18 Benjamin Franklins. ;)
thanks for catching the miss print.
Mark

ironman43

Reaction score
Okay I posted this on eBay less engine. When the airframe sells, I may post the engine. Check it out and post a bid. Or make me an offer for the complete package.

ironman43

Reaction score

The auction will close today for a very low price. Oh well. I hope the new owner finishes the airplane and makes it fly again.

ironman43

Reaction score
The project has sold complete to a guy in Columbus Ohio. He intends on finishing it.

ironman43

Reaction score
So, I have the airframe sold and got the cash for it. The guy said he wants the other stuff to go along with it but hasn't responded nor sent money. Therefore, I have a Lycoming O-290-D2 with about 360 hours on it that I would sell for $3600 complete. This is not a converted GPU engine.

bigblackmastiff

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi Bob.
I'm also in Columbus building a bipe. Wondered where you are building and what field you plan to fly from. I'm at Southwest.

Dan

Reaction score

HEY DAN, WELL I/M LOCATED IN THE NORTH END AND HAVE HANGERS AT UNION COUNTY (MARYSVILLE). WHAT ARE YOU BUILDING AND HOW FAR ALONGARE YOU. I'VE GOT THE BIPE AT WORK GETTING IT READYFOR POWDERCOAT. GIVE ME A CALL SOMETIME. 614-312-7757 BOB

Latest posts