• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

EAA Tech Counselors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimW

Reaction score
A little over a month ago we asked a Tech Counselor from our local EAA chapter to look at our project. We wanted to prime our tailfeathers and wanted someone to look at them first. He agreed and came by about a week later. Although he is listed under rag and tube counselors, he readily admitted his experience which wasn't long on welded fuselages. He did have welding experience and a good deal of building experience.

After looking things over he thought there was a chance some of the welds on the thinner materials (the tail ribs in particular) might have been a little hot. Hetold usthat he didn't really think we had anything to worry about but suggested we get a few pieces hardness tested just for peace of mind. After confessing I didn't know much about hardness testing, he explained a bit about it. I wasn't sure where to have this done so he offered to take a few pieces to a friend with a machine shop and use his equipment to test our pieces. At this point we counted ourselves very lucky because this seemed above and beyond the call of volunteer duty. He called me back tonight and told us all of the parts tested just fine.

My hat goes off to all of you Technical Counselors and Flight Advisors. Without your assistance and this EAA system, building an aircraft would truly feel daunting. As it is, it's really alot of fun instead.

Jim

Latest posts

Back