• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Eagle wing rigging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbarker

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks
I thought at this years annual on my Eagle I would double check the wing rigging and also adjust the flying wire tensions. Originally I rigged the wings and tensioned the wires using the method in the Eagle plans, and it worked fine, but I always felt the wires were to loose. And I also built some of the Pitts style rigging boards this winter so thought it would be a good change to learn and try them. A couple questions on the process.

a. The original Eagle tension method was 1 1/4 inch wire deflection with a 50 lb pull. I have checked that every annual but always felt in flying it was too loose. Also compared it to Pitts that I have flown and they seemed tighter. So I bought the Holloway tool, and it says to tighten to 800-1000 lbs. tension. I did that today using the tool and they are WAY tighter than before. I remember a guy on the forum ran a test comparing the two methods, and he felt they were very similar, and maybe the pull even a bit more accurate. I found that using the tool the wires are much tighter. Any thoughts?

b. Rigging the wings I combined the rigging board method with the method in the plans and used a number of bubble and digital levels and a string level on the back of the wing. I really took my time, tighten everything slowly and now have the wing perfectly level, and the wash our within plus/minus .2 degrees. I even tried to get that out, but started chasing it back and forth. I also continue to sight across the boards; and had digital levels on the rigging boards. The question is ---- do you think .2 degrees is acceptable?

Curious --- regarding the above, the kit came with a very basic (cheap) bubble inclinometer for rigging the wings --- I know that my digital levels are much more accurate.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the above. I am also going to call Holloway in the morning and see what they say.
thanks
Mark

Latest posts

Back