• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Elevator servo trim shaft Skybolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

an8pilot

Mike
Reaction score
Disassembling Skybolt for transport today.

Elevator servo trim tabs ( servo trim shaft ) disassembly.

I know many Skybolts are different from plans.

I will take pictures of the center area where the elevator servo trim shaft passes or crosses through the fuselage and center bellcrank for clarification.

This servo trim shaft center bellcrank; has on the right side of the fuselage fabric a tear drop cut out to allow the bellcrank to assemble or disassemble by the bellcrank moving out of the fuselage center to the right.

That is after removing the right stabilizer flying wires and moving the stabilizer to the right slipping the stab out to the right off its two attach tubes after removing the bolts that go through the tubes where the stab attaches by slipping onto the leading and trailing edge attach tubes at the fuselage.

On the left side of the fuselage fabric, where the elevator servo trim shaft comes out of the fuselage and goes into the left stab, there is only a small hole in the fabric to allow the servo trim shaft tube to slide through the fabric on assembly disassembly.

So the the bellcrank on the left side of the elevator servo trim shaft that would operate the left servo tab..... I assume there would have to be some way to remove that left bellcrank. So as to allow, once the left bellcrank removed...that the servo trim shaft would then slide to the right out of the left stabilizer... this happening at the same time that we are slipping the right stab off the fuselage.....as the right side bellcrank that operates the right elevator servo tab does not seem to have a way to remove that bellcrank, and once the right stab is removed, there would be 2 feet or so of trim shaft sticking out of the right stab sticking out towards the left.

Does this sound correct?

It was very late at night in a cold dark hangar after traveling 24 hours.

I hope there is a way to remove the left servo trim tab bellcrank on the left side of the elevator servo trim shaft. Because I can't see how the trim shaft would separate inside the fusealge at the center bellcrank. No bolts screws etc. There does seem to be two possibly welded pins through the center bellcrank through the trim shaft tube. Maybe drill bits used as pins and welded. Maybe the ends of the tubes going into the bellcrank have a slot in them to slide into the pins. But trying to separate the shaft at the center it seemed very very solid. No rust. Very clean. There are no inspection plates built into the fabric out where the trim tab bellcranks come out of the stab to actuate the servo trim tabs.

I included in this post what I think are the correct words with way toooo extensive textual description (sorry fellas) to help searching for someone in the future like an A&P if he had not worked on a Skybolt before.

Does this sound similar in anyway to other builds?

I'll add pictures in a few hours. It doesn't seem like the where the center bellcrank is inside the fuselage that the trim shaft will separate into two at the center point in the fuselage for disassembly.

help?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back