• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Empennage fabrication questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm building new elevators and rudder for an early S1-C. I needed a new rudder and tailpost anyway, and wanted a trim tab. So I modified the existing horizontal stabs to accomodate strap hinges, per Steen CAD drawings. Of course the center hinge needed to become KP4 bearings (thank Stuart for the picture of how Aviat did it...I would never have figured that out!)

1. My control horns that I have cut out of .100 sheet tend to be a bit rough along the edges and need a lot of grinding and sanding. I've found I can run the TIG torch at low amps along those edges with no filler and make a beautiful rounded edge, without a lot of finesse required. Any reason why this isn't a good idea for the control horns? It sure doesn't leave any notches for cracks to start.

2. The original S1-C drawings showed an AN4 bolt as the pivot bolt in the elevator horns, but the new dwgs show an AN3. The original downstream bolt at the elevator pushrod idler is only an AN3. Any ideas why the pivot bolt size decreased in the later plans?

3. Any reason why I shouldn't be upgrading my short-bottom-wing flatwing S1-C with the newer low-gap strap hinge/trimtab empennage components?

Latest posts

Back