• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Engine bay hose/clamp questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to complete the engine bay/instruments and I am getting confusing and conflicting information on searches as well as other hardware issues.

First, clamps. With the Barrett engine I got a bag full of clamps, all white. My problem is, there are some square ones, large and small and then some that look like wedges, large and small. The wedge looking ones might be Slick ones and two wire clamps. I notice only those have the 1/4 inch holes. The square ones have a 3/16 inch hole like all WDG series clamps. The Slick style are 4 or 5 bucks a piece when I find them on line.

Here's the question, I need some bigger ones with 1/4 inch mounting holes for battery cables and fuel lines as I would like to mount to the sump bolts. The sump bolts don't seem to allow enough room for a bracket in either direction. Is there a good source for a better variety of aircraft cushion clamps? Or should I just drill out the hole on regular cushion to 1/4 inch or try to make some brackets to use 3/16 holes?

next up is fuel/oil/mainfold pressure lines. I see where some place restrictors in the line. Van's has 0.040 one with 1/8 NPT to AN 4 flare for 24. Wicks a 1/8 male NPT to 1/8 female NPT for 7. Haven't found one for a flare to flare like the fuel pump would require if placed at the fuel pump end. So I guess there is 2 lines of thought: the restrictor helps to even out the pulses and if the hose breaks, it limits the severity of the leak. As far as the severity, a leaking fuel line on top of the exhaust won't be helped a lot by a restrictor. I assume I can just solder a fitting closed and drill a small hole to make my own?

Also, what size of line to use for manifold "pressure", fuel pressure, and oil pressure. If I need to restrict the line, then why does it need to be an AN4? My port for the fuel pressure gauge is AN6 so I need to reduce to a AN4 to get to a 1/8 NPT flare. But why not a AN2 hose instead for the firewall mounted sensors?

And on manifold pressure, since this is really mostly just a vacuum, can it just be a nipple and a good quality hose with hose clamps? why does this require an expensive/stiff AN style hose at all? Seems kike overkill.

Latest posts

Back