• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Engine Mount, Exhaust, Firewall

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am fitting a 215 HP Lycoming Thunderbolt YIO-390-EXP119 engine to my Skybolt. Steen Aerolab seem to be unsure if they can supply an engine mount and cannot give me details of the firewall they offer (which also seems very expensive at & $750).
First prize for me would be if there were someone in the USA who would build a mount for me and someone who could build the exhaust system and make sure it didn't clash with the mount.
Failing this, my plan was to order the RV-8 Firewall forward kit from Van's for the YIO-390. This would come with the exhaust system (Vetterman, I believe). I would then order a Dynafocal 1 ring from Spruce, suspend the engine and build the mount to suit.
I attach details of engine mount on Steen drawing No 12 and a sketch I did to show set-up of engine mount relative to engine and firewall. Now, here comes my second question and I think I saw this discussed in another thread but cannot recall a definite conclusion: Why is there a forward "kink" in the lower support legs of the mount? Surely this weakens the system and also does not improve clearance between the mount and the sump of the engine?
My final question is, can someone help me with a sketch and details of the construction of the firewall: grade of stainless steel, thickness of stainless steel, edge treatment, aluminium framing member.
As always, my thanks to all the knowledgeable people on the forum who have been so generous with their assistance.

Attachments

• Skybolt YIO-390-EXP Engine Mount-0.pdf
    72.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMGP6512.jpg
    IMGP6512.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMGP6513.jpg
    IMGP6513.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMGP6514.jpg
    IMGP6514.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 29