• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Engine out inverted?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wzm

Reaction score
https://youtu.be/aZwbHNxdnpw

A friend took the S-2B out flying this morning, and it cut out in an inverted flat spin when he pulled the power to recover. Weirdly enough, he'd flown an outside loop and a half before this, and spun it inverted right before hand. Afterwards, he rolled it inverted, and it kept right on running. The flop tube was replaced a year ago, and I believe it was replaced with an Aviat sourced tube (I'd ordered one) but can't confirm it, because it was done by a shop. Any suggestions about what might have been the issue? The pilot believed it didn't fire up until he pumped the gas a little. It sure seems like it's probably the flop tube, but he says he didn't watch the fuel flow/oil pressure on this maneuver, but he did before and afterwards when it didn't cut out, and everything seemed fine.

It's been a while since I've visited the forum, but I'd love some second opinions. I'm guessing I'm replacing the flop tube either way, but maybe I missed something.

Latest posts

Back