Engine Overhaul Questions

Discussion in 'Lycoming & Continental' started by birkelbach, Jun 8, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jun 8, 2018 #1

birkelbach

birkelbach

birkelbach

Registered Users Supporting Member

This is probably going to be the first of many questions that I'm going to have. I've got a Lyc IO-320-C1A that I'm planning to overhaul. I have no logs and no history. The price was right however. $0 I'd like to do as much of the work as I can, mostly for my own education and if I save some money then that's okay too.

I have it torn apart and I'm ready to send it off to DivCo and Rick Romans to have all the parts inspected. I pretty well know to send the crankcase halves and the accessory case to DivCo. (I plan to replace the sump with a vertical induction variety since this one won't fit in the Pitts.) Anything else?

What steel parts do I send to have inspected? Obviously the crank, cam, rods, gears and lifters. What else? Push rods? Gear shafts? What about the Oil pump parts. One gear is aluminum and the other is steel. Do I just replace those? I have a pretty large selection of mics and indicators (and I know how to use them) so I can measure most of this stuff if all that is needed are dimensional inspections.

What's the best way to pack all this stuff?

2. Jun 8, 2018 #2

taildraggerpilot

taildraggerpilot

taildraggerpilot

The aluminum and iron oil pump gear are supposed to be replaced due to an AD, best to replace. The gears and housing are relatively cheap.
    I send all of the steel parts to aircraft specialty services.
    Crankcase Services in Tulsa does a great job and are a bit cheaper than Divco. Barrett sends three cases to crankcase services.

I recommend having the oil grooves incorporated above the cam and will reduce future oil leaks. Also recommend having the o-ring mod and alignment sleeves incorporated in the case at the through bolt locations. This reduces future case fretting and eliminates oil leaks.

3. Jun 8, 2018 #3

hosspowerinc

hosspowerinc

hosspowerinc

I've sent all the steel parts to Aircraft Specialties on the two Ive done. Gears, rockers, pushrods, piston pins etc. Everything comes back looking like new and they have a flat charge for misc parts like that. Buy new oil pump gears, they are about $150 from ECI. Airpower and Aircraft Specialties have the best prices for parts. I bought a few heavy duty boxes from Lowes to ship mine in. You can have multiple boxes with the same shipment and save a little money.

4. Jun 8, 2018 #4

ndlakesdreamer

ndlakesdreamer

ndlakesdreamer

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I've used Rick Romans for several decades. Good people and good work. You NEED access to all the overhaul info, most of it you can find online just make sure you have the Inspection requirements, Service Instructions, Service Letters and Service Bulletins. Yep you need all of them.

5. Jun 8, 2018 #5

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

I will offer the suggestion to buy a new camshaft rather than have the old one reworked. With no history you don't know if the camshaft has already been redone once. And if a cam dies, replacing it is a really really big pain. Buying new is cheap insurance. So I always ditch old cams and buy new.

I will also suggest having the case modified to spray oil on the cam lobes. I think the original mod I purchase was the Ney Nozzles but I believe that other vendors do that also now. Lyco's have a history of under-lubing the cam so this mod tries to solve that problem.

You can also now get lifter bodies with a diamond hard coating on the face so they will never ever corrode or wear out. Another worthwhile investment.

Best of luck,

Wes

ernstfokker likes this.
  6. Jun 8, 2018 #6

Morphewb

Morphewb

Morphewb

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Sal's Aircraft Cylinders, Inc, 972-346-3339. Great cylinder work. Sal and Jere, his wife, run a great business, give great service, and have great prices on everything. Sal has been THE go to guy for cylinder work in the Dallas area for years. You can send him your other parts and I believe he uses AEA for steel and Kevin at Crankcase Services in Tulsa for the case work. New steel oil pump gears, new drive, and new housing is one of the least expensive parts you'll buy so don't even think about saving money here.

I used to go the reground cam/reconditioned lifter setup but the next engine will have a new cam/lifters/etc. for the same reason Wes stated.

Wes, who does the diamond coating on the lifter faces?

7. Jun 9, 2018 #7

Herbert

Herbert

Herbert

First question .... What kind of "overhaul" do you want? Meet minimum specs or factory new specs?

8. Jun 9, 2018 #8

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

9. Jun 10, 2018 #9

taildraggerpilot

taildraggerpilot

taildraggerpilot

I would not use hyperbolic lifters unless you want high oil consumption. Lycoming quietly superseded these. I don’t think the diamond like coating is being offered any longer either and the tappets have again been superseded (please correct me if I’m wrong). Apparently when the DLC flakes off, it acts like lapping compound in the engine.
    If you go with new tappets, I recommend superior brand.

Cameron likes this.
  10. Jun 10, 2018 #10

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

I have the hyperbolic lifters. Its not the oil consumption, mine is very low. Its that you lose 10psi oil pressure due to the extra flow past the lifters onto the cam. Camshaft lube is their reason for existence. I just turned up the oil pressure relief valve to compensate. That said, my operating oil pressure does go down on hot days, but it is still in the green.

Best of luck,

Wes

RedEagle and ernstfokker like this.
  11. Jun 11, 2018 #11

birkelbach

birkelbach

birkelbach

Thanks guys. I've overhauled all kinds of other engines and equipment but this will be my first airplane engine. I'm always worried that I don't know what I don't know. This forum is a big help. I'll get it all sent off this week and I'm sure that I'll have more questions.