• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Engine rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I received the following reply from an engine rebuilder - -

"For experimental use we can inspect & repair as necessary to end up with a safe & reliable engine. We want the engine "whole" so we can test run it when done. We do not want or need any perimeter baffling, alternator or brackets, starter, flywheel, vacuum pump, heaters, sensors or hoses. We can test run it with an ignition system & carburetor from another engine otherwise you can send yours. You can mount the engine on a tire on a skid & strap it down good & contact us for shipping arrangements. I'm estimating the job to end up around $12-13,000.00."

The engine is an 0-320 with 2000 hrs. Removed from a flying plane 18 months ago, has good compression. I am trying to decide if I should rebuild or just fly it for a couple hundred hrs. and build up some oil analysis history.

Questions -
1) is this a reasonable overhaul price ?
2) what do I expect to get back from this type overhaul ?
3) what paperwork should I request back from the rebuilder ?
4) answers to questions I don't know enough to ask ?

Thank you gentlemen,

Latest posts

Back