• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Engine Stopped making power in flight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skippy

Registered Users
Reaction score
All

Today while at cruise altitude my engine stopped making power, basically went to idle power, I pushed the mixture in and cycled the mags and worked the throttle but got nothing. I ended up giving it one stroke (up and down) on the wobble pump and the engine came back to life and acted completely normal, I flew 10 more mins home uneventful, the whole incident lasted about 35 seconds.

I set my cruise fuel flow of 8.3 and noticed that it kept dropping to around 7.8 requiring me to add mixture, my engine monitor shows it eventually dropped down to 3.6 where all 4 EGTs dropped significantly then a spike to 14+ where I hit the manual pump, then back to normal high power cruise FF.

On the ground I did a engine run, everything was normal, I pulled the fuel screen in the RAS-5 and it had what looked like a oily film on it which is concerning. I had pulled the screen a few months ago and it was completely clean. I drained a a bunch of fuel from both the tank and the line that leads to the fuel servo and all was clean.

One question I have is if you leave the lever on the wobble pump not fully stowed either up or down will that effect the ability of the fuel to flow through and starve the engine.

At this point I am planning on replacing the mechanical fuel pump, its at least ten years old, and possible sending the fuel servo out for a overhaul, maybe even installing a electric fuel pump.

Anyone experience anything similar or have thoughts???

Latest posts

Back