• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Exp Pitts S-1S Sale or Trade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Hill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking to sell our Pitts, my partner just isn't able to fly it and wants out.
Ask is $55k but legitimate offers won't be turned away. I'd also entertain trades on Ultimates, Eagles, S-1Ts, S-2S, S-2B/C or other bipes that can push -4G or more even if they need some lovin' or I have to bring cash to the deal.

1978 original build; Fuselage pre-1970 plans S-1C, modifed to S-1S in the 80's, Maule tailwheel.
Plane has a history but went through a major rebuild in 95-96 by Willie Carter, flew for a couple years then parked for 20.
Sparcraft wings added later and then reinforced to the point you almost have double ribs. 235TTAF
IO-360A4A 155SMOH, teardown last year (about 90hrs since) to inspect for corrosion and install aerobatic crank, all new gaskets
Sensenich 76/60 133TT, hits 2750RPM at about 150mph, about 2500 in 120mph climb.
Split servo/trim tab on elevator, really nicely balanced controls.

Big rebuild last summer;
-professionally recovered lower wings (Jerry Stadmiller/BIPE inc)
-All new hoses (including flop tube)
-Fuel system OH (Wobble Pump, Fuel Pump, Servo, Divider)
-Electrical system OH (LW starter, SD-8 alt, Earth X battery, B&C reg & OV protection)
-Garmin GTR-200 radio (stereo w/ music input), Headsets Inc panel power, KT-76C Transponder, bench-tested encoder, ECHOUAT ADS-B in/out (with anonymous mode!)
-New ratcheting Hooker 7-pt
-Basic panel: Mechanical A/S, Alt, Tach, Fuel Press. Electrical Oil Temp/Press. Digital G-meter/timer/clock/voltmeter. Airpath compass, two velcro strips to mount navigation/entertainment system (cellphone)
-New Bungees, Tires, engine mounts, wing and aileron hardware
Condition inspection complete 6/2021
All logs since day one. Comes with Aviat maintenance manual, parts manual, S-1S plans, spare nosebowl, tailwheel, odds n' ends.

I won't tell you that it's a dream Pitts with everything you could want but I have flown it 90hrs since getting it back in the air at the end of July 2020. It's a pretty trouble-free, low-time daily driver at this point. I'd buy out his half but with a published G limit of -3 (I'm a rule follower) I don't think this one will carry me far into advanced.

Feel free to comment, message, or call. Airplane is at PHF in Newport News, VA if you want to carefully kick the tires without hitting the wheel pants.

Marty Hill
559-309-5565

Attachments

• IMG_20200807_164043586.jpg
    IMG_20200807_164043586.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 198

Latest posts

Back