• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Expert Needed: Wright R-760E-2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The Howard DGA-8 I have been doing some work on has flown. That's the good news. The bad news is that it runs well initially but develops a serious problem after about 10 minutes of flight. The first flight ended in an almost total engine failure, the second flight was shorter but was on its way to ending the same as the first one.

The symptoms from the first flight led us to investigate the fuel system as it appeared to be starving for fuel. Nothing was found as a definite source of the problem but we did find some small debris in the float bowl. Nothing much was found in either screen, the tank vents are open as is the float bowl vent. The engine driven pump works well and the carb was inspected with no issues found.

BTW, the engine was overhauled by Radial Engines Limited and we are in touch with them.

I'm not looking to discuss the problem on this forum but I would love to find an extremely knowledgeable person (specifically on this engine) to consult with our A&P and perhaps visit North Fort Myers, FL for an inspection of the airplane. Any references would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back