FAA Lien Record

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bipedream, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Sep 19, 2017 #1

bipedream

bipedream

bipedream

Registered Users

I'm trying to purchase an airplane and ordered the FAA data CD. The aircraft has a county tax lien on it's record. The amount was fairly small when recorded but could be higher with interest and penalties if it hasn't been paid.

There is no record of releasing the lien and the county it was recorded in is another state.

The owner says it was paid but doesn't have any records with him. He now lives out of the country.

I am planning to fly out and pick up the airplane this week but I'm thinking about delaying until the owner gets the record cleared.

Any suggestions from anyone who has dealt with this before on an airplane purchase?

Vetteman likes this.
  2. Sep 19, 2017 #2

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you belong to AOPA they can do a title search that will show if it has clear title with no liens, many times when they are paid the registered owner fails to make sure the lien has been removed and yrs later when the owner wants to sell, can muck up the sale!

Yrs ago here locally we had an old boy that was the resident Super Cub guru bought a really nice Super Cub cheap! Thought he got a smoken hot deal? When he wet to register it in his name, he got a call from a federal Marshal that asked to see the airplane, they met at the airport and the marshal verified the N Number and promptly put his lock on the hanger door! Turns out the airplane had been used to hunt game illegally, and they confiscated it! Also many times people have used their airplanes for collateral for personal loans, and even when the loan was paid off the bank still had the title! Dave

3. Sep 19, 2017 #3

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r Supporting Member

Check with Aopa with their title search.. it could save you a ton of trouble and money

4. Sep 19, 2017 #4

bipedream

bipedream

bipedream

Registered Users

AOPA title search says it searches for liens in the FAA records.
    https://www.aerospacereports.com/services/aopa-title-search-package-95

I already got those directly from the FAA for $10 and there's a lien there. The question is now what? I like the airplane and would like to go through with the purchase but getting the lien released requires the entity who filed the lien, to file a release with the FAA.

I think I'm in the situation Dave mentioned where the records just haven't been updated. It was for a few hundred dollars of use tax but the clear title part makes me a little wary.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  5. Sep 19, 2017 #5

biplanebob

biplanebob

biplanebob

Member Supporting Member

Don't make an emotional commitment to the purchase of that particular airplane.

Put the burden of clearing the lien on the seller. He is selling an airplane with a dirty title, even if he is out of the country, it is his problem.

Make a purchase offer contingent on a clear title.

Bob

Knight Twister likes this.
  6. Sep 19, 2017 #6

bipedream

bipedream

bipedream

Registered Users

Sounds like good advice.

I'll see what the owner does and be willing to walk away if it doesn't get cleared.

7. Sep 19, 2017 #7

IanJ

IanJ

IanJ

Agreed, you're taking the right course. There are too many airplanes out there to get hung up on one (though it's really easy, and after more than a year of searching, it was easy to fall into the "But I'll never find another one like this!" trap when I was looking last year).

Supposedly, the title search will do the legwork for you to confirm whether the lien is real or not, though I'm not sure how much I buy that, since they seem to have the same access that any citizen does. I suspect most people use them as a way to cover their bases, and have someone to sue if things go south.

8. Sep 19, 2017 #8

FastEddie

FastEddie

FastEddie

View attachment BLANK LIEN RELEASE.pdf

The seller (or you) need to have the lienholder on record fill out and submit this form to the FAA.

I had to do this to a lien from back in the 1960's that was paid off, but the lein release paperwork was never sent to the FAA.

Luckily for me, the bank was still in business, and still the same name.

9. Sep 19, 2017 #9

cashflyer

cashflyer

cashflyer

If it is still on the FAA records, then they never received a release of lien (obviously). The person named in the lien would need to contact the lienholder and get them to file a release (FAA Form 8050-41).

I use AIC for all of my aircraft transfers because they have handled lien issues for me in the past. www.[B]aictitle[/B].com

10. Sep 19, 2017 #10

bipedream

bipedream

bipedream

Registered Users

I suggested a notarized copy of the lien release paperwork, as submitted to the FAA by the lien holder as documentation. The seller will have to arrange everything.

Either that or waiting for the FAA records to be updated to the seller.

Is that reasonable?

If it takes too long, I'll just keep looking.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  11. Sep 19, 2017 #11

ndlakesdreamer

ndlakesdreamer

ndlakesdreamer

It will take a minimum of 90 days before things are recorded and updated in OKC.

12. Sep 19, 2017 #12

cashflyer

cashflyer

cashflyer

Not true.
    If you use a title company service in OKC, they will walk the docs over, hand deliver, and have them recorded and updated the same day.

13. Sep 20, 2017 #13

IanJ

IanJ

IanJ

If it won't jinx it, what plane have you found, bipedream?

14. Sep 20, 2017 #14

bipedream

bipedream

bipedream

Registered Users

I put it in the off topic area in case that question got asked :)

15. Oct 2, 2017 #15

bipedream

bipedream

bipedream

Registered Users

Okay one more question.

I received confirmation from the lien holder it has been paid and I confirmed the FAA has received the paperwork but won't record it for about a week due to their processing time.

Is that enough to complete the deal or should I wait for the final FAA record to be updated?

Normally an extra couple weeks wouldn't be a big deal but the weather is looking good for the flight home and Pacific Northwest weather towards the end of October is often bad.

16. Oct 2, 2017 #16

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Supporting Member

In my humble opinion if the lien holder has signed off your good to go. I guess its your call, are you sure you were talking got the right people at both the county and the FAA?

PS: My Smith was acquired this way and yes it took time but it was all resolved in the end and I have a plane in my name.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  17. Oct 2, 2017 #17

gmann750

gmann750

gmann750

You are golden once the lienholder signs and you have copies of everything.

18. Oct 3, 2017 #18

Alaskamech

Alaskamech

Alaskamech

Registered Users Supporting Member

how far away is it? I just flew from Des Moines Iowa to seattle area 3 weeks ago to beat the weather change but as u know the smoke was almost as bad as the weather can be.

Larry Lyons likes this.
  19. Oct 10, 2017 #19

bipedream

bipedream

bipedream

Registered Users

All sorted and flew the new bird home from Chino to Seattle Friday. Thanks for the advice.

20. Oct 10, 2017 #20

camwebb777

camwebb777

camwebb777

Cam Supporting Member

Pictures?