• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Fabric question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimW

Reaction score
We are pretty close to making the belly and side formers for our Skybolt. My question has to do with the transition from sheet metal to fabric. The Skybolt plans and most photos I can find show 3/8" X .035 tubing with tabs welded to one side for sheet metal and stringer standoff brackets welded to the aft side for the beginning of fabric. 3/8" tubing has a circumference of 1.178". If you cut around the tabs, I would think wrapping half way around that tube would be about all that one could hope for. That falls far short of the 1" minimum glue surface that I believe Polyfiber is recommending in their installation manual. Am I missing something? Would we be better off making up an L=metal and using a shrinker/stretcher to make the arc?
I haven't had a chance to use our shrinker/stretcher yet except for a test piece on aluminum. I am not even sure if it will work on .032 4130 sheet.

Comments?

Jim

Latest posts

Back