• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Fabricating flying wires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will V

Reaction score

When I posted to the "hangar" a while back the response was that ( especially years ago)you could use 4130 stock and cut your own threads for drag / anti- drag wires but what about flying wires? Obviously you'll give up some speed due to the drag from not using streamlined wires ( how much speed? 10mph at 140mph?? more?) but you could powdercoat them to match your paint scheme and potentially save maybe a few thousand (?) dollars over using imported stainless streamline flying wires. This may be of benefit to those on a real squeaker budget. Besides when the view over the nose is all terra firma the slower speed buildup due to your increased drag might be comforting! ;)) So is this a dumb question? I know there will be the debate over cold-rolled vs. cut threads as well. Domost plans give the size of 4130 rod you'd need to use for flying wires and drag/ anti-drag wires? Surely everbody wasn't using stainless streamlined wire in the 50' and 60's or were they? The wires use to be available domestically years ago, right? I was thinking of building a Twister Co-ed to avoid all of this but I am starting to see the value in "known flight characteristics"! Is there value in making your own flying wires? Let the opinions fly!

Latest posts

Back