• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Ferrying Pitts S-1C N77XX led me to soloing Yak 52

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooksmershon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
VIDEO

The famous N77XX made its way from Louisiana to Nebraska. I ferried the plane from the seller, who owned the plane since he was 17, to my partner in Boulder Pilot. It was destined for Boulder, but with my recent move to North Carolina, my buddy didn't need to share it with me in Boulder and decided instead to keep it where his little Eastern Bloc fleet of aircraft reside in Seward, next to where he commutes for Guard duty at Lincoln flying big tankers. Who knows where N77XX will end up, but for now it is in Seward hanging out with some big Yaks.

I kinda traded moving the Pitts across the country (fun, but pain in the ass) for more Yak 52 checkout work and formation training down the road. Ended up getting enough done that my buddy hopped out and let me take the Yak around the patch on my own for a few times. I'm incredibly grateful that pulling off this long ferry scored me solo Yak time.

I will say that it was very helpful to get to fly another S1 besides my own so I have a point of comparison. I certainly came away with an appreciation for my particular machine and really enjoyed the learning of subtle differences in ground handling, different aerodynamics of the flat bottom airfoil, different roll rate, open vs closed cockpit, all that.

N77XX is healthy as ever and I look forward to ripping around in it whenever I commute out to hang at the Yak hangar.

IMG_20210603_081809036.jpg

IMG_20210604_231042883.jpg
IMG_20210603_081809036.jpg
IMG_20210605_191535654_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back