• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Fiberglass Cowl with Dzus Fasteners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ref Attached Photos

I'm working on the cowling design for a replica aircraft. This cowling will be fiberglass, however I am wanting to capture the original look and method of the original cowling which was all metal.

My current plan is to create the green longerons out of fiberglass such that the LH upper, lower, and a vertical section are all one piece (gusseted).These would have clickbond studs on them which protrude through holes in tabs at the ends of support tubes which are welded to the engine mount. The same would occue on the RH side.

The nosebowl would be attached to the green longerons in a similar method.

Ideally, the panels (top, bottom, LH, & RH) would all attach to the nosebowl and longerons with Dzus fasteners (to preserve the vintage look). I should also note that the panels would likely be of foam core sandwich construction).

Are there any accepted techniques to install Dzus into composite structures? I can't recall ever seeing this combination of Dzus and composite used on any aircraft for the usual challenges of the mechanical connections between composites and metal.

If anyone can shed some light on the subject I would greatly appreciate your input on this thread.

Thanks,
Glenn

Attachments

• cowl.jpg
    cowl.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 125
  • cowl3.jpg
    cowl3.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 135
  • cowl4.jpg
    cowl4.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 123