• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Finally Back!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishead

Registered Users
Reaction score
Well, it has been a while since I have been working on my skybolt project,but I am back.I have been in schoool the last several months to get my type rating in the B777 at Fedex. First airplane arrives next month.Anyway I have a friend is is a certified professional welder who is welding up my fuselage as we speak.He put in 5 hours the other day and got about 1/3 of it done and they are beautiful welds.I guess it just takes experience.He is even able to easily weld up the tubes I cut that have gaps in the joints.It is like watching an artist.While he is doing it he is also teaching me and in one day my welds are 100% better.
I thought I would pass along the most important thing he taught me to improve my welds.You want to use a tungsten that is close in size to the thickness of the material you are welding.The reason is that if you use one thicker than the material then by the time it heats up you are already too hot and will burn through the tube.We switched tungstens and the first weld I did was great!

I also bought a load of parts from a guy in CA.I got the gear,Rudder,Elevator,horizontal stab,trimtab,rudder pedals,master cylinders,Fully aerobatic fuel tank,nose bowl,all of the cowling,and a bunch of other stuff for a grand! My buddy says all the welding hd been done by a pro.
Any way I am building again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back