Find thin chrome moly angle anywhere?

Discussion in 'Handy Resources' started by Timbob, Jun 1, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jun 1, 2018 #1

Timbob

Timbob

Timbob

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have a couple instances where 1" x 1" steel angle is used not sure what kind of steel buts its pretty thin. Measured with my old caliper with screwed up display I keep at home its just over .04" in thickness...where do you find these kinds of things? All the usual vendors don't offer chrome moly angle. What do I want it for? Stuff....
    Thanks...

2. Jun 1, 2018 #2

bneub

bneub

bneub

Registered Users Supporting Member

I bought some rectangular tube from ACS and cut out one side to make a C channel. You could cut along opposite corners to get an angle.

Grizzly makes several small press brakes that fits in a bench vice. They are inexpensive and actually work really well as long as you don’t need something long.

3. Jun 1, 2018 #3

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

I have not heard of 4130 angle in stick form. .040 is getting stout thickness wise. The square tube idea is probably the easiest if you need long runs. Bending a sheet of .040 in any long length would probably require a hydraulic press brake. Is what you have a true angle or a formed piece bent to an angle?

4. Jun 24, 2018 #4

Timbob

Timbob

Timbob

Supporting Member Supporting Member

Hoping for right angle, bent would be fine.

5. Jun 24, 2018 #5

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Tim, most of the thin sheet metal on the Starduser is .035, and was bent up on a brake using the correct set back, or equal to the material thickness radius. You can buy strips and plate sheet metal from A/C Spruce and bend it on a brake. Skybolt at one time sold curved fluted formers out of .035 mild steel sheet metal, and if non structural is your needs will work just as well as 4130.. Dave

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/mepages/4130strips.php