• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Finding/Sealing oil leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planebuilder

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not long ago there was a thread about finding an oil leak, I can't find the thread now. It showed how to use UV die to find a leak. I have an O360 with a leak that cost me a starter, didn't understand there was a connection, I do now. I got the die, cleaned the engine, ran it, checked with UV light, it worked great. Was hoping to find one leak, Found many "small" ones. One is the crank case half seam on the bottom. I thought I heard of using vacuum in the case and sucking a sealant in, do any of you know about this or what sealant would work? The engine is half time and the strongest/smoothest I have had, so don't want to take it apart. There were a few loose hose clamps and a couple gaskets as expected. Another leak is on a few of the lower cylinder base nuts. The base is dry all around, but oil seeps out of the threads in the nuts? I wondered if I could remove the nuts, apply gasket glue, and reinstall. Am I way off base? Advice appreciated.

Latest posts

Back