• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Finishing Tapes on Aileron

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtail

Reaction score
Normal application of finishing tapes on wings and Ailerons would be to use a 2" tape over the ribs and over the corner on the ends. However due to the gap between the ends of the Ailerons and the rest of the wing structure, a 2" tape will only overlap the ends of the Ailerons by about 1/2". Not the full inch if you used a 2" tape wrapped over the corner of the Aileron ends. I like the look of the pinked edge of the finishing tape to be a straight line off the wing and onto the Aileron. This would mean there would be only about a 1/2" tape on the top and bottom of the Aileron ends.
My question is how have others who have been here done it. Did you keep the pinked edge line straight with only about a 1/2" tape on the Aileron ends or did you use a 2" tape over the corners, which would give a 1" tape on top and bottom of Aileron ends, and have a offset of the pinked tape edge.
Hope you can understand what I'm asking. Not easy to explain.
Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back