First flight of the season

Discussion in 'Starduster' started by mreinh3233, Apr 15, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Apr 15, 2018 #1

mreinh3233

mreinh3233

mreinh3233

Got to fly on Friday (The 13th). First one of the season. Managed to get it in before the cold front brought in ice, snow, and gropple. Anybody else north of the "Mason Dixon" make it up yet. Actually a nice day, for awhile.

2. Apr 15, 2018 #2

Dustin

Dustin

Dustin

Registered Users

I’ve been up quite a bit.
    What a joy to fly a biplane after the RV all winter.
    Did some “dog fighting” with my buddy and some formation practice.
    Forgot that it takes a while to build up g tolerance..... almost hurled....
    Guys in the Porche club can’t say that!
    (Only minor offence intended)

mreinh3233 likes this.
  3. Apr 15, 2018 #3

smizo

smizo

smizo

Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Yep Friday was also my first flight of the season. (With the biplane) Got to play a bit yesterday too. Now wx moved in that we are more familiar with :(

nick1881 and mreinh3233 like this.
  4. Apr 15, 2018 #4

Dennis Flamini

Dennis Flamini

Dennis Flamini

Bill,
    My two sons flew the Acro and Pitts March 29th...i got to clean them after a long winter!

nick1881 and mreinh3233 like this.
  5. Apr 15, 2018 #5

biplanebob

biplanebob

biplanebob

Member Supporting Member

I flew on March 31 and again yesterday.

VIRB_0013 a.jpg

6. Apr 16, 2018 #6

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

I flew March 19th and again yesterday although I'm 20 miles S. of the M-D line.

94 yesterday.....what a difference today. Just hope it doesn't get worse like the frost that killed all my fruit blossoms a few years ago.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  7. Apr 16, 2018 #7

cgzro

cgzro

cgzro

Peter Ashwood-Smith P

Well the Canadian border is way North of the MD line and I managed to get our FoxMoth up in January, but it was a freak above zero day. Had the Pitts up 4-5 times already in March but April is so far a mess.

8. Apr 16, 2018 #8

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

Same here, I've had several flights this year in Jan, Feb. and March, but only one early in April. Looking out the door now and see SNOW! :mad:

9. Apr 26, 2018 #9

joser1965

joser1965

joser1965

Flew a couple times in March, and few in April.

I am only 60 or so miles north of the "line" tho..

Looks like its gonna be a nice weekend.

10. Apr 26, 2018 #10

NDTOO

NDTOO

NDTOO

I've finally been able to fly twice since this past Sunday. Its finally warm enough but the problem now for the next couple weeks is all the migrating birds. I quickly climbed to 5000' the other day to avoid all the low flying geese only to have to dodge a few groups of sandhill cranes!

11. Apr 26, 2018 #11

IanJ

IanJ

IanJ

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I got in a bunch of flights in the first few months of the year, but the Champ has been down with fuel valve problems for almost two months now. The weather just turned gorgeous here, and I'm itching to get the new valve installed. If only it would arrive from the seller!

12. Apr 27, 2018 #12

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

I have not flown much either due to poor weather, was able to fly both airplanes on Jan 28th, fairly warm day and again on may 29th and April 5th, but it was this last week end the 22nd of April my son Dan and I did Breakfast at the Starduster Cafe at Independence Or and then on to Corvallis to fly with my young friend Cody in his Skybolt, the one I rebuilt the truss for last yr. Tough duty, having your son for a wing man and flying 80 miles one way just to fly another biplane, but somebody has to do it. Dave

Two_Stardusterssmall.JPG

SAM_3583.smallJPG.jpg

SAM_3586 small.jpg

N300SB 4.jpg

N300SB Acro 1 small.jpg

N300SB Engine Comp small.jpg

Starduster Cafe.jpg

13. Apr 27, 2018 #13

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dave, is the Cafe named after the plane or just happen to have the name? Very cool. I recently ate at a neat airport diner called “Flo’s Airport Cafe” while I was visiting Chino, CA. While eating there I read the history and imagined Al Hooper and his other Starduster Too buddies probably use to dine there while they were building N26AH and N53T. I tried to find his old hangar where it was built based on some pics you shared but seems like they painted the hangars so I can only guess the row. Anyway it was neat to see where it was built. The airport diner really use to have a neat place for us aviators to go. Seems more and more are going away or sold out to generic crap. The local diner at Wiley Post is still called the same thing but it’s not longer home cooked unique food. It’s generic, frozen and bought crap.

14. Apr 27, 2018 #14

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

If your ever in the area of Lone Rock WI. there is an awesome little diner there called the Piccadilly Lilly. Right on the field, KLNR, great food, cheap, and you never know what your going to see. Last time there earlier this year I parked Miss Smith beside a Skyraider! Not unusual on a nice day to see 30 or more aircraft sitting there but you want to be there before 9am or the wait can be an hour!

15. Apr 27, 2018 #15

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Kris all of us old guys bemoan the fact that many of the places restaurants and fly-ins that were once wonderful places to go seem to be like us old pilots,and are fading away. I use to be the youngest, but now I am the oldest, and it seems this happened over night?

As for the Starduster Cafe it was originally named that by the previous owner, Bobby Muise, he was the one I fixed N147DA the red and white SA-300 radial Starduster for, he and his wife got divorced not long after and sold it to the new owners, and they elected to keep the name. So it was named after the airplane, it has a lot of aviation pictures, as well as one of my cutaways hanging up in the place, and we try to stop there when near, there is EAA chapter 3 292 on the field, and a lot of people own homes at this airport, it is also where they have had the RV fly-in, we also had several biplane fly-ins at Independence air park over the yrs.

The picture of N147DA and Bobby was taken in front of the Starduster Cafe when I delivered it. Dave

DSC01270 small.jpg

DSC01273 small.jpg

N147DA rebuild 4 small.jpg

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018