• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

First Flight Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjkirby2000

Aerobat, Hawk-XP, Lancair Super-ES, Smith MiniPL
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The new Smith Miniplane has an O-320! I've had it for almost two months. The split-tip prop went to Sensenich for repair (which looks like a new prop now) and I had to change out a cracked inner-wheel AND install a handheld and GPS.

There is no comparison to the old Smith with the little Franklin. This one really claws her way to 4,000 feet at a rate of 2,000fpm. The Flapperons really do slow her down for landing just under 50. Full flaps in the turns are a little squirrelly at slower speeds but keep it above 80 and it's just slow maneuvering. Flat-out WOT indicates 145. Stalls are much more exciting with a sharp right wing drop on power-off - the other Smith just nudged over-straight away.Take-off, about 200 feet from our terrific grass - old one 800 feet. Fuel-burn 3.3gals in 25 minutes. I'm not sure why there's fuel spray on the windshield when rolling it over (the cap is vented-that could be why). The old Smith was vented but didn't leak there (from the cap).

This one IS a little heavy on the nose. The old Smith had the ability to go from 800ft to 14" in the swamp in 20 seconds. I think this one will be that by half :)10)!

Projects... 1.) Attention to the Fuel gauge 2.) Wheel Pants 3.) Canopy cover to protect the leather on the turtledeck while at Sun N Fun

See you in Lakeland!
Bj
352-344-5678Edited by: bjkirby2000

Latest posts

Back