• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

First flight!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDTOO

Reaction score
It actually happened yesterday. Final inspection and DAR sign off about 1:30 and flight shortly after. Veteran Starduster Pilot Kent Pietsch won the coin toss and his brother Warren flew chase in the 231 Mooney. First flight was 15 minutes and it flew great. Second flight a few hours later for another 15 minutes also went well however oil temps were approaching 220 so he opted to return to the airport. We were also seeing #5 CHT up to 430 degrees, others were running about 390.

What have you guys seen for temps when breaking in new engines? I have a 4" scat picked up off the right rear baffle of #5 cylinder for the oil cooler so that is why we thought we were seeing higher temps on #5. These temps were when he was running 2500 rpm. The temps backed off when he pulled the power to 23-2400 and started his decent. Maybe these temps are normal for a fresh overhaul? Kent reported rigging and controls were spot on and no adjustments needed. All in all a fantastic day! Last pic is Warren on the left and Kent Pietsch. Their dad Alfred's Starduster was what started it all for me. I can't thank them enough for helping me with this phase of my adventure.

P4040641 (1024x768).jpg

P4040645 (1024x768).jpg

P4040020 (1024x768).jpg

P4040015 (1024x768).jpg

Latest posts

Back