• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

First Post, First Flight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyabbduster

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
After lurking in the shadows for the past six years, I figure it is time to introduce myself to the biplane community.

Thanks to Dave Baxter for the earlier posting with news of the first flight of Starduster VH-XRS this past weekend.

I am a retired engineer, based at Tyabb in Victoria (Australia). I entered the world of home-building in 1995 when I purchased an RV-6 kit. First flight was in 1998 and I have now logged some 700 hours in it and enjoy it immensely.

The Starduster design caught my eye when Lou Stolp first introduced it to the world, (early seventies??) but at that time of my life I could not contemplate such an undertaking.

In 2008 I had the opportunity to purchase one of two projects imported by my good friend Rob Wettenhall. I jumped at the chance..........and then spent the next six months wondering what I had gotten into :).

The project had the basic fuselage truss complete, tail feathers and wing structure. Six years later, at the end of November, all paperwork complete and C of A issued.

I have found this forum very helpful as I came to grips with the scratch- building process and I am in awe at the depth of experience that the members bring. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge.

The project had the basic fuselage truss complete, tail feathers and wing structure. Six years later, at the end of November, all paperwork complete and C of A issued.

Some details of the aircraft:

Engine is AeroSport Power IO-375. 205hp
Prop is Whirlwind 200C composite
Finish is Polyfibre, Aerothane, Insignia White, Santa Fe Red and Reno Gold.

The painting was quite a saga and took nearly 18 months .....but that is another story.

I want to add my special thanks to Dave Baxter for his help and advice during the project and his ongoing support to the Starduster community.

As of this morning I have logged 3 hours in six flights, all is going great apart from a slightly heavy left wing which will need adjustment.

After taking off in calm conditions this morning, I inadvertently demonstrated a 10kt crosswind capability on landing 30 minutes later........:eek: Underwear is in the laundry.

The nose art design is by my daughter-in-law, and named 'Daisy Belle' after my first grand-daughter.

Ray

Take off.jpg

Flypast.jpg

Nose Art.jpg

Latest posts

Back