• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

First try at cowling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
S1-11B. Cowling seems to look and fit good. Camlocks are used on the side panels. I made a couple of small correctable mistakes. I should have paid attention and made the first set holes on the side panel nearer to the nose bowl. I think. I should have paid closer attention to the drawings but I wanted to keep the spacing even between the top/bottom panels screws and the side panel camlocks, so I just placed them in the middle of the upper and lower panel screws not thinking about the front edge being 3 inches from the first camlock. In the wind. The drawings show an irregular pattern between upper and lower panels screws and side panel camlocks. I am going to stick another camlock in front of the first one so it will make the first 2 about 2 inches apart and the rest 3.8 inches apart. Wheel pants/leg fairings are not mounted but are ready for attachment. (I just notice that the second picture is missing a cleco on left upper, I just didnt put it in before I took the picture.)

The bottom panel has a hole for the per plans air intake. Since I have a cold air induction, I need to build a rather large intake housing with a big hole in the nose bowl. So I might make a new bottom panel without the hole or just patch it with a plate or maybe the cold air induction housing will cover the existing hole. The opening needs to exist and be larger at the front due to the throttle body it just may not need to extend as far back. I am thinking just a small extension would completely cover the opening.

Not much room for an exhaust but it looks possible. I used some pipe insulation the size of the exhaust for experimentation (a piece is sticking out the bottom). Whatever exhaust it is it will need to head directly to the opening. Plenty of room in frt of the left bank of cylinders for an oil cooler if I didnt have to run the prop governor cable there. If it was placed there do they work well?

be gentle.....

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1575.jpg

IMG_1576.jpg

IMG_1578.jpg

IMG_1580.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back