• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

fishing on the fly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a nice trip to Shearer Idaho the first week of Sept. Two friends were spending 2 weeks there as camp ground hosts. Very light duty. Their purpose was probably to guard the log building full of fire fighting equipment. If anyone is planning a flying vacation this is the place. Idaho is full of back country strips. The log cabin my friends were staying in was moved to its present location from 10 miles down the river, with mules, in 1953! You could still see the numbers on the logs. The fishing was poor as the water was too warm. Get a few in the morning. This strip is rated about 3/4 up the difficulty scale in the book Flying Idaho. If you chicken out Moose Creek is 10 miles down river and the forest service used to land DC 3's there. Don't let the photos fool you, it was a short lense. Landing for most planes is up the canyon, right turn and there is the runway. Takeoff is the reverse as the runway has a nice hill at the upstream end. You know how biplanes fall, I dropped off the ridge. I usually get off in about 250 at sealevel, a little longer here. Circled in the canyon and headed west. Love that hp to weight ratio. I used the upper wing for fishing gear, a little food and a bottle of rum, (for the cook). The fly rod was tied behind the seat and I took the cushion out and sat on my sleeping bag. Stuffed my raincoat between the tubing and the skin. Slept under the wing. Have only seen one rattle snake there on my 2 previous trips, I hate snakes. The strip was in great shape, some are not. The mountains in this area are not nearly as spectacular as the hills in Washington but I know some are, been there. The first photo is Glacier peak in Washington, 10,000+ ft the last photo is our drinking water and cooler. I cannot recommend this area more, if you get a chance try it.

will

DSC00049.JPG

DSC00052.JPG

DSC00059.JPG

DSC00063.JPG

DSC00061.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back