Flashlights - pretty much unrelated...

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by navybipe, Nov 6, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating:

1. Nov 6, 2018 #1

navybipe

navybipe

navybipe

but welcome any recommendations on flashlights. As an old fart, I have bought enough Mag-Lites to wonder if there is anything better out there?

2. Nov 6, 2018 #2

airplanegeek

airplanegeek

airplanegeek

Coast lights. Amazing.

3. Nov 6, 2018 #3

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

Ditto, have several.

4. Nov 6, 2018 #4

NDTOO

NDTOO

NDTOO

I like the 18650 size re-chargeable battery flashlights. Convoy makes some nice ones. I also have a Nitecore EC21 that I carry in my Starduster for preflights and inspection. Smaller pocket size, 5 different brightness modes, a really nice EDC light.

5. Nov 6, 2018 #5

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

Knight Twister

My favorite is an Olight. on amazon for 60 bucks. Flashlights sure have come a long way for sure. I think all the current offerings are similar. My favorite thing to do when I walk in from my shop for the night is to exit my shop as quite as I can and shine my Olight around and look for deer. I usually see something every night. Can't go wrong with any of the good brands.

6. Nov 6, 2018 #6

NDTOO

NDTOO

NDTOO

AEC8AE57-5D2F-4196-AE48-068B02DD1510.jpeg You know you are a flashlightaholik when.........

Larry Lyons likes this.
  7. Nov 6, 2018 #7

IanJ

IanJ

IanJ

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

CandlePowerForums is a long-running forum that discusses flashlights, and they have an entire board of just reviews:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?19-Flashlight-Reviews

I keep a Foursevens Quark Tactical on my belt, which I like because it takes a single AA battery (which you can find anywhere you find electronics, unlike the CR123A- or 18650-powered lights), it's very compact, and it has a dead simple interface: head screwed down is one mode, and slightly unscrewed is the other mode, click-on and click-off on the tailswitch. I set them to full power and lowest-power (but there are also flashing modes, intermediate power, SOS flash, etc. that can be enabled with a few extra twists and clicks), and use it almost exclusively on the lower power mode. I probably change the battery once every 6 months, and I use this thing every day. It looks like this particular model is no longer being made (the models offered seem to change frequently), but something like it will be available from someone.

Consider what's important for you: battery type, how you'll use it, how physically big or small do you want it to be, how disposable it needs to be (prices range from $3 through several hundred), do you need a wide beam or a narrow beam, etc. Generally speaking, any flashlight you buy now will be brighter than you need, and I've found about 80-100 lumens is the brightest I ever need, with 10-12 being my go-to power level. I like to have a light with me at all times, and to be operable even after an emergency like an earthquake, so small size, super-common battery type, and a reasonably broad beam are all important factors to me. I think my flashlight was about $70 when I bought it a few years ago, but it's been very reliable, and Foursevens sent me a new tailcap gratis when the switch in my first one started to die.

I'd suggest brand names, but there are a ton out there, and I think many of them are very reputable. Big names I know about are Fenix, Surefire (very expensive compared to others), Sunwayman, Foursevens, OLight, Nightcore, Jetbeam, and probably others. There are a bunch more. If I were in the market for a new flashlight, the link I listed above would be my first stop.

8. Nov 6, 2018 #8

navybipe

navybipe

navybipe

thanks everyone for all your inputs. I picked up a Coast at HD cause it was quick and convenient. Of course it came with batteries and the package said "Try Me!". so while looking in the business end and hitting the button I vaporized my retina. but its all good....cause the checkout girl did the same thing and I got a good laugh out of that.

taff, biplanebob and Larry Lyons like this.
  9. Nov 7, 2018 #9

pigpenracing

pigpenracing

pigpenracing

The flashlight on my iphone is the only one I have that works everytime I need it.....

10. Nov 7, 2018 #10

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

I now only consider lights with a thumb button on the side so I can turn the %$#$ thing on with one hand. I also want one with two AA's. I've only found a couple and I forget the brand/model. Of coarse I have several others in other cars and trucks but only want the above for use in and around the airplane. When working on the airplane I may turn it on/off countless times/day and those darn things with the %$$# button on the bottom have been known(almost) to make a trip across the hangar into the wall at high velocity.......well I've at least been tempted......