Flight characteristics

Discussion in 'Starduster' started by ckeckmate, Mar 22, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 22, 2018 #1

ckeckmate

ckeckmate

ckeckmate

Checkmate

Hi all.

Would a few people give me the "flight" characteristics of a Starduster 2? I wanted a Acrosport 2... BUT..

What is it similar to?

TKU in Advance

2. Mar 22, 2018 #2

Jerry

Jerry

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder - 176% completed

3. Mar 22, 2018 #3

chicoduster

chicoduster

chicoduster

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The flight characteristics of a Starduster Too are going to depend on your experience and how the plane is setup. When I bought mine the gear geometry was bad and the engine mount short (bad c.g.). I had 450 hours of tailwheel in a Cessna 140. It was a little bit of work to get comfortable. Then I fixed the gear and it flew way easier and better. I just made the engine mount longer (better c.g.) and it flies very nicely. So if everything is balance correctly they are a good flyer. That said you must be ok with the higher approach speeds (90-100mph) that this kind of plane requires. They are not twitchy but honest in that you must stay on them or they will bite you in the a$$. As far as across country plane , I have flown mine to California to Oshkosh and back twice and it was very enjoyable. As far as aerobatics? I do most of the Sportsman sequence every time I go up. It does all of the maneuvers but definitely not fast. I hope this helps

4. Mar 22, 2018 #4

Bond007

Bond007

Bond007

Registered Users

Buy a S1S ,do yourself a favor.
    Danny 007

5. Mar 22, 2018 #5

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

You asked for "flight" so I assume you have average tailwheel skills. I'll also assume you have searched some and know to buy/build the correct configuration. So,

It's been a long time but I got my Starduster 2 a couple years after owning a Pitts S1C and I was happy with the SD's overall performance(200 hp) It was simply a very nice flying airplane. Ailerons were a little heavy compared to the Pitts but it was a reasonable Sunday afternoon aerobatic mount. Personally I think it the best of the 1970's vintage sport biplanes although there is nothing wrong with a Skybolt or Charger or AS2.

If correct configuration and at least 180 ponies you will be happy, at least at sea level....if NOT overweight.

Jack

PS Let me add. The SD2 was our 5th airplane. My wife Marcia liked flying well enough but it was the SD2 that made her want to take flying lessons. She loved it. Ours was an early airplane with all the bad features of gear and mount but flew just fine(Both of us were light back then)

GEDC3597 (800x600).jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  6. Mar 23, 2018 #6

mreinh3233

mreinh3233

mreinh3233

Mine only has the O-320-150 out of a Cessna 172. Compared to the Champ I flew on hot days it’s a rocket ship, but I know compared to any Pitts it’s a slug. It out climbs any 172 I ever flew but it could not catch one in level flight if it’s life depended on it. It flies hands off and I really enjoy it. I guess it boils down to what do you want out of your flying. I’m a retired military pilot (I couldn’t afford a Cobra) and I just wanted a Sunday afternoon fun plane for local area excursions. In that mission it is economical and fun, near perfect.

wapati-bull likes this.
  7. Mar 23, 2018 #7

DennisV

DennisV

DennisV

Registered Users Supporting Member

Yep, I hear ya'. If I wanted an unlimited aerobatic airplane for doing competition stuff, this wouldn't be my choice. Need a nice flying, well-behaved, good looking airplane that I can ride around in with my head outside, maybe do a little gentlemanly aerobatics from time to time, pop in to the local fly-in breakfast, etc. I think this is going to be a good choice -- if I quit finding stuff that needs to be re-made before I start actually putting it together. ;)

mreinh3233 and airplanegeek like this.