Flight Helmet Comparison- Bonehead Composits

Discussion in 'Aerobatics Talk' started by taildraggerpilot, May 30, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. May 30, 2018 #1

taildraggerpilot

taildraggerpilot

taildraggerpilot

Registered Users Supporting Member

I’m looking for feedback on the bonehead composites Pilot X helmet and Comm-it helmet, both with CEP.
    Has anyone tried both or is there a reason why you chose one over the other?
    I’m leaning toward the Pilot X for the integrated visor since I wear glasses. Carrying sun glasses and regular is always a pain, but the cost is significantly more than the Comm-it.
    Any info is appreciated.

2. May 30, 2018 #2

jmorgan

jmorgan

jmorgan

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Also interested in reviews of the different Bonehead helmets.

3. May 30, 2018 #3

smizo

smizo

smizo

Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I have a pilot x and its fantastic! couldnt be happier with it. super clear audio, mic pics up with hardly any background noise, even in the noisy biplane! its comfortable and the field of view is great. I also have the in ear cep kit. of course go for the custom paint to match your ride...….. the only thing I don't like about the cep kit is its sometimes a pain to get the things to stay in your ears when putting the helmet on.

4. May 30, 2018 #4

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

What's your age?

If you need to wear readers to see the baro window numbers on your altimeter, then don't bother with a visor. Just wear sunglasses with reading lenses in them. Which puts you into the lower cost helmet.

I fly with a basic Bonehead Guner helmet and a Clarity Aloft headset. That is equivalent to the Comm-it helmet. Works really good and fits my budget. The headset can be used in Cessna/Piper/Mooney/Beech airplanes separate from the helmet also.

All great choices.

But you can still order customer paint on the helmet. Look at checkerboards or diamonds to match your ship. Maybe not flames.

Best of luck,

Wes

5. May 30, 2018 #5

ilikeitinverted

ilikeitinverted

ilikeitinverted

Registered Users

Make sure you order from Bonehead right the first time around, they weren't responsive when I wanted to return mine when it didnt fit... had to open a case with my CC for them to even return my calls. It's a shame, seemed like a nice product, but customer support was non-existent when I tried them a year ago... my 2c, YMMV.

6. May 30, 2018 #6

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Chris,

Did you paint your helmet to match the plane or the Prop?:rolleyes:

bneub likes this.
  7. May 30, 2018 #7

smizo

smizo

smizo

Definitely the plane haha

8. May 30, 2018 #8

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

I remember seeing it but couldn't help myself.:)

9. May 30, 2018 #9

mekstrand

mekstrand

mekstrand

I’ve also got a pilot x and am very happy with it. I had Oregon Aero install their padding and ear cups and also have the CEP. I’ve found that with the CEP it’s a little too quiet for my taste, so I typically fly without the earbuds.

10. May 30, 2018 #10

smizo

smizo

smizo

so yours has speakers in the ear muffs too?

11. May 30, 2018 #11

dimcuesta

dimcuesta

dimcuesta

Did you guys take the ANR option?

12. May 30, 2018 #12

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

I have a very small low profile Bonehead that has been discontinued with CEP and love it. I am room challenged in Miss Smith so bought this at Oshkosh last year as a discontinued model. What I ahve is very close to the Comm It flight helmet i black carbon so NO PAINT! :p

13. May 30, 2018 #13

smizo

smizo

smizo

wasn't an option when I ordered mine.

14. May 30, 2018 #14

flyinlo

flyinlo

flyinlo

I have the Pilot-X with ANR and CEP options and I love it. Previously I'd had a couple of HGU-55 helmets that never worked as well as the Pilot-X. The combination of the CEP and the ANR makes it the quietest thing I have ever used in my S-1S. It makes it very easy to hear radio calls. The CEP earbuds plug into a jack in the back of the helmet, but if you don't plug them in you can use the helmet with the regular earcup speakers. This still works quite well in the Pitts, but combining the ANR with the CEP is even better. You do need to get the wires positioned properly or they pull at the earbuds as you turn your head. Just takes a little practice to get it right. The ANR is powered by a battery pack that is on a cable. This is probably the one thing I'd change about the design - the battery pack is permanently connected to the helmet electronics, so I keep it clipped to me so it will exit the aircraft with me if I ever have to bail out. But the clip doesn't work too well, so it tends to come loose. I'd prefer a quick release on the cabling so I could mount the battery box on the sidewall of the cockpit and have it unplug if I ever have to get out. I wear glasses and the visor tends to pull back on the corners of my glasses so I don't use the visor much.

15. May 30, 2018 #15

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

"so I could mount the battery box on the sidewall of the cockpit"

You really do not want something organized so that it could flop around behind you as you bail out. Helmet electronics should be firmly attached to the helmet. Cable pig-tails to the helmet should be as short as practical. Helmet cable pig-tails should end in a quick release connection. Anything that trails behind you as your fall away from your ship can catch your deploying parachute and prevent it from opening. I watched a man die that way. Don't be him.

Best of luck,

Wes

dimcuesta likes this.
  16. Jun 7, 2018 #16

Acromaniac

Acromaniac

Acromaniac

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

I had never considered this. I have been using a clarity aloft under a helmet that was advertised as built for the in ear headset. I don't recall the brand. Basically the earcups have an indentation for the headset frame. I have a mentally rehearsed drill for exiting that just includes pulling the headset jacks out of the instrument panel jacks.

Perhaps I need a new procedure or new hardware. Wes or anyone else have any guidance for me?

Thanks,

Jim

17. Jun 7, 2018 #17

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

Do not unplug the Clarity Aloft. Let it rip off your head and stay with the airplane as you dive out. That is one of the reasons that I chose Clarity. My other rigs have a quick release plug (NATO plug) about 3" from the helmet. But the Clarity does not need that.

Best of luck,

Wes

Flying Ant likes this.
  18. Jun 12, 2018 #18

CapnWolfe

CapnWolfe

CapnWolfe

Skybolt Driver Supporting Member

I have the Pilot-X in the Skybolt with the CEP and no ANR (I'd heard that the ANR didn't work well - apparently that was not good info). But what a world of difference from the David Clarks! The visor visibility compared to wearing goggles in an open cockpit is amazing.

Also, I had my DC leather helmet rip off my head during an immel-spin (A new aerobatic thing I invented .. ahem) . The Pilot-X feels much more secure when going sideways.

The Pilot-X is lightweight, fits my head well, the CEP makes hearing ATC a lot easier, and the visibility is worlds better than goggles.

I kinda balked at the price until the spouse insisted on it and I'm glad she did. Plus, at least the feeling of protecting my noggin should I ever ground loop is a bonus. I haven't tried other helmets but compared to the leather helmet/David Clark combo it's a definite win. The weight is extremely light, too.

Oh, and I look a look cooler wearing the Pilot-X vs. Leather helmet (so the wife says). YMMV. :D

ernstfokker likes this.