• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Flight Simulator Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcroGimp

EAA 14, IAC 36
Reaction score
Just wanted to report on some recent developments I have discovered with respect to using flight simulation software to add to actual flight experience.

I have flown both X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator over the years and find both have pros and cons, but today wanted to share some of my current Microsoft Flight Simulator experience.

As I have posted previously, I am taking aerobatic instruction in an Extra 300L and am really enjoying it but wanted to see if I could find a solid, realistic simulation approach to add to this experience without the expense.

I have found that a well organized and realistic simulator setup can add immeasurably to training - I actually credit finally earning my Instrument Rating to Flight Simulator since I was having real issue wrapping my brain around NDB approaches in the real-world, but was able to set minimum weather and repeat the approaches over and over, with instant access to ground track and God's eye view to help me build the needed situational awareness.

As anyone who has flown X-Plane or Flight Simulator knows, both applications have been fairly lacking in terms of transferable value for aerobatics and tailwheel dynamics.

Happily, I can report I have recently found a combination of add-on aircraft and some hardware that have significantly raised the value and fun factor of my simulation experience with respect to aerobatics.

I am running Microsoft Flight Simulator X (standard edition) on a plain jane HP desktop computer, using a 32" LCD TV as a display. Service Packs 1 and 2 have been downloaded from www.microsoft.com). Flight Controls are via an older Logitech 3D Extreme USB joystick with throttle (www.logitech.com), and recently added the Saitek Pro Rudder Pedal setup (http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/pedals.html).

After some fine tuning I am very happy with the overall integration of these systems.

I also have been adding freeware photo realistic scenery (www.blueskyscenery.com) and was pleasantly surprised to see that the photo-scenery for Borrego Springs (KL08) which is about 40 miles northeast of San Diego (http://www.blueskyscenery.com/AZ_West6.html) actually captured the aerobatic practice box that my IAC chapter (Chapter 36) maintains.

The next challenge was to find an aerobatic mount that was reasonably realistic. I struggled here for a while, trying several freeware planes such as Extra 300L and 300S models, various Pitts Specials, and finally found one payware and a couple freeware models that I can recommend for decent aerobatic performance.

On the freeware side, there is an excellent S-1-11B package on www.Simviation.com that includes Jon Melby's signature black and yellow airshow Super Stinker. The performance is outstanding, it will spin, kinfe-edge and tumble fairly realistically, and the textures are nice.

The second freeware model I have found to be both fun to fly and reasonably capable is a Pitts S-2C, also found on www.Simviation.com. This model has a great sound effects package, and feels reasonably good throughout the envelope. Although I have not flown a S-2C, I have seen them fly often and the apparent performance of this model matches what I have observed.

The best model I have found for aerobatics though is the outstanding Pro Series Christen Eagle package from Iris Simulations (www.irissimulations.com/product-pro-christen.php). The visuals, flight dynamics, sounds, and animations are amazing. Hammerheads, lomchevaks, point rolls, vertical and torque rolls, tailslides, all are possible. The package includes both the single-seat Eagle I flown by the Eagles Aerobatic Team, as well as several Eagle II versions and a wide variety of attractive liveries.

I purchased the model direct from Iris, I believe for $15.00 (reg $29.99), and it is simply the best payware add-on I have bought, hands-down, just beating out the indescribably complete and cool Malibu Jetprop DLX from Carenado which I also highly recommend (www.carenado.com).

The recent addition of the Saitek rudder pedals has radically improved the tailwheel and aerobatic experience for the simulator by pushing for avoiding lazy feet on taxi, takeoff, during acro, and on landing and rollout.

For those days when the triple paradox of time, weather and money conspire against you (all three are needed simultaneously to commit a wonton act of aviation), I can say that the above setup provides joy as well as, I believe, transferable experience.

Would love to hear if there are other aircraft or hardware/software setups amongst the BiplaneForum members.

Gimp

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back