• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Flight Testing Phase I

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So for all you test pilots what kind of things did you do during your phase I flight testing? Mine require 40 hrs of test time, with at least 10 landings. Now that I have 17 hrs of flight time and about three dozen landings, the last of which were approach speeds in the 80s, and touch downs in the 50s. I would like to proceed with some meaningful flight testing. I am familiar with the revised version AC90-89B which is about 100 pages that cover things from pilot experience, airplane preparedness, and just about every other possibility that one could encounter during flight testing including retractable landing gear Flaps Canards and ultralight aircraft? There is also AC 90-116, which has to do with using an additional pilot that is experienced in the aircraft type, and of course is not relevant to a single place aircraft, I have also chatted with three other SA-100 pilots, reviewing their experiences. The other thing I am looking at is Flight Test Data Cards that would accomplish specific performance tasks for each flight during the remaining flight hours to be flown.

My main focus initially was to determine the basics IE: That the airplane is controllable through out its normal flight speeds and maneuvers to be executed and that the engine was operating properly, that it had good oil pressure, oil temperature, fuel pressures and charge rates. With my new 4 probe EGT, and CHT these numbers seem to be with in specs, but with only about .8 hrs of flight time so far is a bit early to call them accurately confirmed? The cylinder head temps on all 4 cylinders are about 375 degrees however the EGTs are all over the place, I think due to cylinder break in in some but not others, but is looking better.

Speeds from my earlier flight testing are yet to be confirmed, my approach and touch down speeds are a bit lower that in the past and turning base to final farther out with a constant stabilized approach to the numbers has seemed to help.
SA-100 specs as well as W&B for my aircraft included in this post for reference.

Of the 110 or so SA-100s built over a 50 yr period, most of them in the 60s, about half still have current airworthy certificates,. The others have been deregistered, for a variety of reasons. And although no two of these airplanes are exactly the same speeds for these basic airplanes and a given engine the most popular being the Lycoming O-290-G, O-290-D. and the O-290-D2 Of approximately 125 HP seem to be comparable?

Basically we are looking at the usual numbers:, and meaningful verified flight maneuvers as well as pertinent performance data.

VA Maneuvering Speed
VS / VSO Stall
VG Best Glide Speed
VX Best Angle
VY Best Rate
VNE Never Exceed

Along with this an additional condition inspection should occur some time during the first 25 hrs of flight time. But because I have had the airplane apart several times and also changed the oil, I think the 25 hrs of flight time would be appropriate.

Fuel burn of course would also be of interest, but already have a good Idea of what that might be. most all of the flight testing has been flown at @ 2500 RPM and has resulted in about 7.0 gal per Hr

Time to climb, from takeoff to 2000', 4000', and 6000', or higher using the same power setting recording the temperature may be of help.

Also climb to the service ceiling, might also be of interest, but without ADS-B that would be 10,000'! Unless over the mountains

Gross Takeoff Weights: Have pretty much been there already with full fuel on over half of the 15 flights so far. But have had nothing in my baggage compartment, although an additional 25-30 lbs in there, I think would make little difference?

The other thing I am looking at doing is landing at all of the airports in my flight test area.

I am also looking at some basic aerobatics to include in the phase I flight testing, and have a friend that is current with aerobatics in these small biplanes that has offered to fly the basic aerobatic maneuvers.

Any timely and helpful comments would be much appreciated as the information shared before and after flight testing may very well be of value to those who will follow in flight testing their new airplanes. Dave

Three View SA-100 small.JPG
N96574 W&B 8-31-19 small.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back