• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Flop tube

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billduster

Reaction score
I am rebuilding a Starduster II . I am reluctantly going thru the airplane and bringing things up to flying condition. It has a dual main tank with header section on bottom. Before i started taking all the side panels off i could see an old fuel leak on the main drain fitting. After removal of the side panels i could see the leak was coming from the main fuel fitting. I put leak detector on the one inch fitting and added a little air to see if it was leaking at the threads or the tank being cracked. It was the threads. After trying to remove the fitting the aluminum threads were galled.Now to the point of this jibbering snowballing aircraft maintenance saga. Turning the fitting i could tell the flop tube is stiffer than a spring wind in Michigan. Now i am removing the windshield,top panel,etc. to get the fuel tank out to repair the threads and replace the flop tube as it won't come out of the tank by the firewall. Maybe the builder should have put it to the rear for service.That would have caused fuel starvation when inverted. So that will save alot of trouble shooting time. Inside the angle tube fitting that goes in the flop tube fitting there was a cut red o-ring lodged in the fuel line. Makes it all worth it.
Bill

Latest posts

Back