• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Flush mounted inspection covers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhill

Reaction score

I intend on mounting flush mounted inspection covers from Steen Aerolab on my Christen Eagle when I recover the wings. I have experimented with attaching them and am not quite satisfied with the results. The sequence I use is as follows (I am using Stits process):
1)attach fabric
2)glue plastic insert to inside of fabric with Polytac. This is where I have difficulty. I have a hard time getting the fabric all glued up around the inside elevated edge of the insert.
3)heat shrink
4)one coat ofpolybrush
5)one coat of polybrush as a bed
6)one coat of polybrush, then lay on one 6 3/4 inch patch made of lightweight preshrunk fabric
7)final coat of polybrush
8)final spray coats per Stits directions.

I am concerned that without a really good glue joint on that inside edge of the plastic insert, the fabric will start coming loose around the edges when you start taking the inspection covers off and on.

Any tips on how to install these inspection covers would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back