• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Flying wire fittings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently removed the wings from my Starduster project. About half the fittings are still attached. On some the cotter pin is buried inside the wing where it will be difficult to remove. Others have structure that will prevent the clevis pin from removal without at least loosening the mating fitting (the green part in my picture). At present I just backed the flying wires out all the way until I could remove them, leaving the fittings attached to the wing. Is there some smart and easy way to remove these that I don't see?? I am worried the spar bolts were epoxied (or something else) to seal the wood when they were installed and will be hard to remove even if I could get some access.

I have some oxidation on the fittings and would like opinions on my options--clean them with a toothbrush and do regular inspections, remove at any cost and buy new, replate, paint, unicorn spit??
IMG_20210608_142115932.jpg
IMG_20210608_142135056.jpg

Latest posts

Back