• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Flying Wire Thread Lube...Found.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasperfield

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

The threads of flying, landing, drag, and anti-drag wires should be lubricated with a lubricant which prevents (among other things) the "galling" of surfaces which bear high contact pressure against another (metal) surface. Metal-to-metal surfaces, like stainless steel against stainless steel, or, high-carbon steel, or other alloy steels, against one another...and bearing high surface-contact loads (thread surface loading) should not be lubricated with a "grease" of any kind.

I have found, through research, that for high pressure loading of thread surfaces, that a paste form of Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2) is the most effective compound to prevent galling or surface deformation. The product is called "TS-70 Moly Paste". It is 70% MoS2

(When Brunton's ships stainless wires, the threads are coated with a low-concentration MoS2 "grease" of some sort...and apparently no one really knows exactly what the "grease" is, or the source.) I could go on and on about this...but I won't.

The sole source of the MoS2 paste lubricant is:

T.S. Moly-Lubricants, INC.
P.O. Box 230225
Houston, TX 77223-0225
(800) 508-5545

This company has, for many years, specialized in providing lubricants for high-pressure applications for the offshore oil industry. When you speak with them you will not hear an "I don't know", and you won't speak with a "nobody".

I found this firm while searching for a Molybdenum Disulfide paste.

Best Regards,
Jasperfield

Latest posts

Back