• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Folding wings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While my Spezio Tu-holer has folding wings with a universal joint @ front spar attach to center section, I didn't make mine with all the quick detach features like QD aileron cables and wing/CS fairings. I was the 3rd owner of the prototype and could fold the wings alone in less than an hour. Not the case with my present plane

Yesterday I folded the wings to be ready to tow or taxi it to higher ground just in case the airport gets flooded if the hurrycane gets this far north. It took a couple hours and I suspect folding them back will be difficult?

Folding the wings should be a one man operation. One thing that would help, especially re-assembly would be some sort of tapered pin at main strut to fuselage bolt and the rear wing strut bolt, both which must be removed. W/O a 2nd person to hold/align wing it is hard to not mess up the threads.

Question is, are clevis bolts equal in strength to AN bolts in shear? If not my plan is to use extra long bolts and grind a taper and then drill a hole in the end to secure with a cotter pin after assembly.

OTOH I could use the tapered pin/bolt installed from the opposite side first to align and then drive the bolt in.....

Thoughts?

Jack

BTW. Nominal river height in Cumberland Md is about 3' gauged downstream of the Rt. 28 bridge.

https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?gage=cbem2&wfo=lwx

Yesterday it was almost 19' and has since gone down. 21' will put it at the end of the runway. In the 1996 flood it was almost 26' which was 4' deep in my hangar. Yesterday was the result of just moderate rain. The ground is so soaked that a couple days of moderate rain might do it...?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back