• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

For sale Pitts S-1S experimental project

Gmovies

Reaction score
I have a Pitts S-1S experimental project that is probably about 40-50 hours of work to get it flying. I removed the engine for crank repair in 2007 and never got around to putting it back on. 180 HP O-360 with pressure carb, essentially 0 time engine with solid flange crank and factory new lycoming cylinders. Engine currently in climate controlled storage at Midwest Aircraft Services in Newton KS. Airframe is complete just needs the engine bolted back on. Always hangared.

The plane is amateur built by Lloyd Stoops with excellent quality. Completed in 1978 currently 540 hrs TT. I don't know if it is factory fuse or hand-built. Wings are sparcraft with excellent quality. Original covering is ceconite I believe with polyurethane paint. Well kept but normal wear for a plane this age with many recent items replaced including bungees, tires, flop tube, fuel selector valve, fuel sight tube, and brake cylinders. Batt and starter otherwise no electrical system. Wobble pump. Aviation Products Tailwheel. Sensenich fixed pitch Aluminum prop. Interior is 7/10 exterior is 8/10. Overall the plane looks great from about 10 feet. I purchased it in 2003 from flight instructor and professor emeritus Charles F Holleman at Purdue University Aviation program. I've flown it about 160 hours.

Two minor items of damage: 1) LH wingtip very slight runway contact on my third or fourth flight. No damage to underlying structure and wingtip bow and covering remained intact. I patched and painted the scrape. Aircraft has about 155 hours since this repair with no issues. 2) Caught the LH brake caliper on the edge of a runway while I taxied from grass onto the runway. Broke the caliper loose and caused slight damage to the wheel fairing. Caliper replaced and wheel fairing repaired.

I just purchased a Pitts S-2 so no time for the S-1. This is a basic old fashioned Pitts S-1 with rebuilt engine. Honestly you can't get a better bang for the buck. Very close to flying condition. $29,000. Wichita, KS.

parked.JPG

PittsatFlyINclean.jpg

toobuilder

Reaction score
Welcome to that horrible segment of the market called "too nice to be cheap; too worn to pull fair money"... Ive been there with my Hiperbipe.

Any chance you would sell without the engine?

TFF1

Reaction score
Super beautiful plane. It is going to get you, that it is not in flying status no matter how nice.

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty Airplane.

I bought my Skybolt in not flying condition, a little over a year ago.
Pickled Engine and apart..
I paid what I thought was a fair price for an unknown IO-540, which seems cheap now that my plane is flying.
I was buying a totally unknown plane with a unknown engine..Sort of like yours.

I thought it was worth Core Value of the Engine, plus whatever I thought the unknown airframe was worth. It took me a month to get it flying.

I'm sure it would be much more valuable flying.

ssmdive

Reaction score
Not a SINGLE response. $28,000?
All that follows is just my opinion:
Put the engine back on, and complete it and fly it for 10 hours and you will get close to 30K for it. Old fabric hurts you.

But a plane that is 90% done (with 90% left to do) will drive off many if not most buyers. I have been kicking around buying a project plane, but this would be a project plane at flying aircraft price.

Now I know you say it is almost done.... And it might be. But if you have not had the time to put in the 50 hours work.... Well, I doubt anyone else has that time either.

Let's just pretend I was interested.
1. I have no way to know if everything is actually there. I don't know enough to know what little things might be missing. If it were flying, it would be easy to see any issues.

2. I can't fly it home. I would have to rent a truck and drive it home.

I would then have to assemble it, find any missing issues or fix things that need repair and then I would have a plane with 1978 fabric.

Because of these issues, I would not be paying flying aircraft prices.

planebuilder

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice looking Pitts, very sad the market is so bad, It's just not fair that those of us who appreciate biplanes don't have unlimited funds!:mad: Don't the money gods know we all need 6 airplanes each!

Gmovies

Reaction score
I hadn't considered splitting the engine and airframe but I suppose that might be another way to go. How about $12,000 for the airframe and $17,000 for the engine? +/- $2,000 one from the other if I can get both deals lined up.

Looking on Barnstormers I see a few O-290 Lycoming for around $4,000 so add the $12,000 airframe and you're looking at $16,000 for a nice little S-1S. Throw another $2,000 - $3,000 and you could get an O-320 powered S-1S which is still a very hot little plane. Leave the battery and starter off and you're even lighter. The airframe does have a tail hook with cockpit release if you want to hand prop the engine.

As for the engine - it is essentially 0 SMOH with refurbished used crank (solid flange and no AD, etc.) plus factory new Lycoming cylinders never run, and all other parts inspected and replaced as necessary. The engine should give reliable 180 hp service for another 2,000 hrs AND if I recall it can use lower octane fuel so you could do auto gas with an STC I think.

toobuilder

Reaction score
The engine and prop should go in a heartbeat. ...just throw it to the wolves at VAF.

Latest posts