• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

For sale Pitts S-1S experimental project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmovies

Reaction score
I have a Pitts S-1S experimental project that is probably about 40-50 hours of work to get it flying. I removed the engine for crank repair in 2007 and never got around to putting it back on. 180 HP O-360 with pressure carb, essentially 0 time engine with solid flange crank and factory new lycoming cylinders. Engine currently in climate controlled storage at Midwest Aircraft Services in Newton KS. Airframe is complete just needs the engine bolted back on. Always hangared.

The plane is amateur built by Lloyd Stoops with excellent quality. Completed in 1978 currently 540 hrs TT. I don't know if it is factory fuse or hand-built. Wings are sparcraft with excellent quality. Original covering is ceconite I believe with polyurethane paint. Well kept but normal wear for a plane this age with many recent items replaced including bungees, tires, flop tube, fuel selector valve, fuel sight tube, and brake cylinders. Batt and starter otherwise no electrical system. Wobble pump. Aviation Products Tailwheel. Sensenich fixed pitch Aluminum prop. Interior is 7/10 exterior is 8/10. Overall the plane looks great from about 10 feet. I purchased it in 2003 from flight instructor and professor emeritus Charles F Holleman at Purdue University Aviation program. I've flown it about 160 hours.

Two minor items of damage: 1) LH wingtip very slight runway contact on my third or fourth flight. No damage to underlying structure and wingtip bow and covering remained intact. I patched and painted the scrape. Aircraft has about 155 hours since this repair with no issues. 2) Caught the LH brake caliper on the edge of a runway while I taxied from grass onto the runway. Broke the caliper loose and caused slight damage to the wheel fairing. Caliper replaced and wheel fairing repaired.

I just purchased a Pitts S-2 so no time for the S-1. This is a basic old fashioned Pitts S-1 with rebuilt engine. Honestly you can't get a better bang for the buck. Very close to flying condition. $29,000. Wichita, KS.

parked.JPG

PittsatFlyINclean.jpg

Latest posts

Back