• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Found an S1S! N21DV @ Tailwind Aviation, NC - know this plane / seller?

jdm

Registered Users
Reaction score
ok, so i have "held" this plane and need either an inspection of the the plane or affirmation of the IA who did the partial rebuild in order to pull the trigger.

it will cost $6200 to ferry it to Oregon. unfortunately, i don't have the time to do it myself.

this seems to be a very optimal fit for what i've been looking for. neither the engine or fabric is new, but seemingly good enough. (and the right colors ;-)

my concerns:
  • was is over-stressed, esp. in the early years with Kermit Weeks et al flying it in upper categories? i know blatant overstress can be checked, but can you assess overall "tightness" without flying it?
  • the engine was pickled, but had sat for a while. it has been "gone through" but not overhauled. a cylinder was pulled for inspection. is that good enough? my turbo Mooney is past TBO on an engine that doesn't often make TBO and is flying great, and per the recent stuff from Mike Busch, new isn't necessarily better. i just wanna make sure there's a reasonable chance of success here.

who would you have inspect in Beufort, NC? or, is Kevin Snyder a known quantity?

i need to decide and move on this today.

by comparison, there's another S1S on barnstormers for $32k in CA, which I could ferry home myself. knocks against: Ultimate wings.

thoughts?

-- jdm

per the barnstormer's ad:
PITTS S1S • $37,000 • ACCEPTING OFFERS • 1979 Pitts S1S. recent partial restoration Airframe:400 hours total time.IO360 has been converted to a carb:800 total time, 420 since major overhaul. Prop:400 total time. Aircraft was originally built in 1979 by David Vihlen and Curtis Pitts. Aircraft has won several national championships. all aluminum has been painted, new brakes tires, and most rubber has been replaced. Cylinders are all mid 70's, new mounts, bungees, mags, harnesses, flywheel, plane power alternator, sky tek starter, custom panel using an ipad and ILevel for primary flight, GPS, ADSB, charts, and maps. SP 400. • Contact Kevin Snyder - TAILWIND AVIATION, Owner - located Beaufort, NC USA • Telephone: 252-515-4081 . • Posted September 18, 2014​

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I think I know the airplane a little bit. It was flown by a friend of mine in Advanced in '77 which means it's two years older than stated. I believe an FAA registry search will confirm this. I don't remember Kermit ever flying this airplane in competition or any other time but it's possible. Kermit had his own S-1S while he was building the Weeks Special.

It was flown by Dana Vilhen in competition, he won the the Intermediate National Championship in '76 in a different airplane. He almost always beat me in Advanced but I got him at the Nationals in '77, I'm remembering he was third that year. Anyway, he was the primary pilot back then and obviously no hack Pitts driver. Just because an airplane was flown in the upper categories doesn't mean it was abused.

What happened with the airplane after '77 I don't know. I'm not sure what Dana did with his life after that but he may have gone into the military to build a career in aviation.

jdm

Registered Users
Reaction score
thanks, Bill! it sounds like one can presume that it was quality built, at least? as my wife says about houses, "it has good bones."

know anybody in NC who could take a peek at Kevin's "partial restoration" work and ask the appropriate questions? or know that Kevin is such an upstanding guy that one can trust it at face value?

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I can't really comment on the build itself. Curtis' involvement could have been supplying parts or it could have been more. Hard to say. It may have a lot of factory or Homestead parts, I just wasn't aware of the airplane until it was finished so I don't know. The only thing I can say is Dana flew in '77 in Advanced and if this airplane was indeed completed in '77 this is almost certainly that airplane. A lot could have happened since then.

jdm

Registered Users
Reaction score
yeah, it's the "since then" that i'm concerned about.

zoom in on the pics and you can see there's corrosion on the ends of the flying wires (e.g., the tail), for example. which may be fine, but perhaps the tip of an iceberg?

acropilotbret

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You can try and get Eric Minnis to go look at it with Bully Aero out of Burlington,NC but that would be a bit of a hike for him but you can always ask. Or a bit closer is Danny Bond out of Oak Island, NC. Both are awesome Pitts guys. You can google them for their numbers or you can contact me and I will give you their numbers. Eric is on forum as well.

MGaerosport

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Another Vote for Eric Minnis at Bully Aero his number is (336) 263-8558. Is a pleasure to deal with and will tell you his honest opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Biplane Forum

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The forks being corroded is pretty typical. The plating only lasts so long then you're bead blasting and painting, buying new or getting them re-plated.

It's funny, all the flights together we made from contest to contest and I can't remember the N-number. I do remember the airplane was a little out of rig and Dana would just let it find a happy place which was one wing about 5° low and a little sideways to keep it from turning.

jdm

Registered Users
Reaction score
i called Eric last week and left a message, but Kevin says he's often gone for long periods. maybe he's at nationals?

jdm

Registered Users
Reaction score
any thoughts re the one in CA with Ultimate-style wings? (not full-on Ultimate, apparently - missing 3rd flying wires)

like like a really nice motor - slightly over compressed, but not scarily. i know there's different opinions RE the Ultimate wing.

Pitts S1S Experimental for sale. 920hr TT and growing. 200hr SMOH. Wooden leading edges, good fabric. Run at Reno and places in the middle of the Silver. Great acro mount. See spec page. • Contact Aaron D. Burhoe, Owner - located Sonora, CA USA • Telephone: 209 533 1231 • Posted September 16, 2014

race38

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I saw Aaron's airplane at Reno several years ago. Looked nice and was fast. He's very personable. You could contact Bobby Graham out of Redlands, CA. He was the tech insp for bipes, he could give you some insight. [email protected] is the only contact I have for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Biplane Forum

acroeric

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hey JDM- I was in China but am back. Sorry I missed your call. Contact me at 336-263-8558 about the airplane. I saw it a few months ago but have not done a complete pre buy.
Thanks-
Eric

Tomcat

Reaction score
FWIW the wings on the airplane in CA are not Ultimate wings. They are modified S1S wings with squared tips and ailerons.

skyboltone

Reaction score
One would like to hear the outcome of this thread. The other question is how in the world could it get to $6200 to ferry the airplane out? That seems awfully high.

Tectweaker

Reaction score
What happened to this plane? I see it is back on the market.

I might be looking for a S1 soon and was curious about this.

Polar

Reaction score
I see this plane is back up for sale on Barnstormers. Looks like it's nearly complete. If I was closer I'd definitely be interested.

cashflyer

Reaction score
I think it looks good for the asking price, however I think his fan belt is on wrong.

1979 PITTS S1-S • $20,000 • AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SALE • Great looking S1-S. new paint, and avionics. O-360. 780lbs. Just don't have time to finish. Wings need rigged, tail wheel installed and final assembly. Trig comm and xponder, Ipad AHAR's and moving map with ILevel. All new hardware. All new rubber. New bungees. New tail flying wires. New starter and alternator. Locking tail wheel included. No rust or corrosion. Original cinconite fabric with new blue paint. Just don't have the time, come get her. My loss is your gain. 1400TT, 800TSMO. Trades considered. Currently out of the country, please message with any questions. • Contact Kevin Snyder @ Tailwind Aviation - located Beaufort, NC USA • Telephone: 252-515-4081 . • Posted August 31, 2017

N21DV.jpg

Last edited:

gmann750

Reaction score
its original cover that has just been repainted, owner told
Me he didn't like red. Says it weighs 780 empty, it hasn't been weighed since the re paint, new panel or light weigh starter and alternator were installed, also has a flange with lightening holes, hasn't been flown in two years. This all info I found out from owner this morning.

cashflyer

Reaction score
According to FAA records, he bought it in Feb 2014, and then had it listed for sale at least as early as Sept 2014 when this thread was started. Did he happen to mention why he put it up for sale after only 6 months of ownership? Did he buy it to flip for a buck, or did something happen?

Bond007

Registered Users
Reaction score
I know the plane well,contact me off the list
910 279 9240
Danny Bond 007

Latest posts