• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Found an S1S! N21DV @ Tailwind Aviation, NC - know this plane / seller?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdm

Registered Users
Reaction score
ok, so i have "held" this plane and need either an inspection of the the plane or affirmation of the IA who did the partial rebuild in order to pull the trigger.

it will cost $6200 to ferry it to Oregon. unfortunately, i don't have the time to do it myself.

this seems to be a very optimal fit for what i've been looking for. neither the engine or fabric is new, but seemingly good enough. (and the right colors ;-)

my concerns:
  • was is over-stressed, esp. in the early years with Kermit Weeks et al flying it in upper categories? i know blatant overstress can be checked, but can you assess overall "tightness" without flying it?
  • the engine was pickled, but had sat for a while. it has been "gone through" but not overhauled. a cylinder was pulled for inspection. is that good enough? my turbo Mooney is past TBO on an engine that doesn't often make TBO and is flying great, and per the recent stuff from Mike Busch, new isn't necessarily better. i just wanna make sure there's a reasonable chance of success here.

who would you have inspect in Beufort, NC? or, is Kevin Snyder a known quantity?

i need to decide and move on this today.

by comparison, there's another S1S on barnstormers for $32k in CA, which I could ferry home myself. knocks against: Ultimate wings.

thoughts?

-- jdm

per the barnstormer's ad:
PITTS S1S • $37,000 • ACCEPTING OFFERS • 1979 Pitts S1S. recent partial restoration Airframe:400 hours total time.IO360 has been converted to a carb:800 total time, 420 since major overhaul. Prop:400 total time. Aircraft was originally built in 1979 by David Vihlen and Curtis Pitts. Aircraft has won several national championships. all aluminum has been painted, new brakes tires, and most rubber has been replaced. Cylinders are all mid 70's, new mounts, bungees, mags, harnesses, flywheel, plane power alternator, sky tek starter, custom panel using an ipad and ILevel for primary flight, GPS, ADSB, charts, and maps. SP 400. • Contact Kevin Snyder - TAILWIND AVIATION, Owner - located Beaufort, NC USA • Telephone: 252-515-4081 . • Posted September 18, 2014​

Latest posts

Back